Student logs onto computer successfully

WSPN’s own Garrett Levey was able to successfully log into a computer during journalism class on Friday, March 20th – a first for the technologically deprived class.

“I was shocked,” he said, as classmates pounded him on the back and gave him high-fives. “It was really… I can hardly speak. It’s amazing that we have the capability to do this.”

Although the online infrastructure for submitting and editing articles was already in place, the students in this class could not use it because the new computers (purchased specifically for their use) did not connect up to the network.

Now that a breakthrough has been realized, other students have hope that further connections will be easier to achieve. Student Andrew Budnick clarified the situation: “After establishing a TC/IP protocol, we were easily able to set up the IP address. We still don’t have a good hold on the subnet DNS mask, but after a few days with this connection, everything should slide into place.”

Ms. Karman, a forward-thinking teacher who co-heads the class, was thrilled with the news. “We’ve been restricted to movable type for months. Now we can finally write as many letter “O”s as we want without having to use zeros.”

Another teacher of journalism class, Mr. Keaney, was not as thrilled. Keaney, who has been on the board of the Linguistic Association of Metrowest English since its inception after World War I, has never been in favor of progress. “We’ll lose connection to our roots,” he muttered. “People will forget how to write well and newspapers are already doomed. The old guard of writers like me are going to be obsolete.”

While students reveled in their ability to type articles and perhaps finally sell their mechanical printing press, tech specialists such as Susan Pressman were scratching their heads.

“According to our calculations, the journalism class was supposed to be in a dead zone. All of the signal should be canceled out. I don’t understand how these students were able to connect their computer to the network. Maybe they hacked it somehow,” she said.

Mrs. Barber, the tech specialist that covers journalism class, was unavailable for comment.