Ultimate Frisbee defeats rival Weston

Blood was spilled, territory was claimed, and Wayland made itself known as a fierce competitor, coming away with a big win in the Weston-Wayland Ultimate Frisbee game last Wednesday, Wayland’s first official in-league game of the year. The final score of the match, 15-4, is testament to the tenacity and endurance of the squad, comprised mostly of veteran seniors, with a few underclassmen and teachers thrown into the mix.

Wayland not only demonstrated its athletic ability and endurance in the game, but also its intellectual side, as it skillfully outsmarted its opponent. While Weston called different plays and tried various clumping tactics, Wayland maintained its man to man defense.

When Weston saw their plays were useless against the superior opponent, they abandoned their tactics to focus on a straightforward approach to the game. Wayland immediately adopted its secret weapon, a defensive formation so ingenious that it limited Weston to only four points throughout the game, but also so classified that its name cannot be revealed even here on WSPN.

Coached by teachers Michael Hopps and Matt Daniels, Wayland High’s Ultimate team shows potential to be a leading force in the league, state, nation, and even the world. Team member and senior Bryant Wolf, a skilled and battle hardened veteran, emerged tired but in high spirits from the match. “The strength, determination, and fluidity of the team was a sight for sore eyes. I have high hopes for the season, and feel that our team has the potential to do many, many great things this spring,” he said.

“You should have seen us play,” said senior Vincenzo Vitiello. “The way that disc flew you would have thought that it had just been hurled by mighty Zeus himself.”

The resourcefulness and determination demonstrated by Wayland was remarkable. With funding at an all time low, the team found itself without transportation, uniforms, or water bottles when the season began. But nothing could stop these die-hard athletes. Each member of the team brought his or her own orange shirt, and the entire team carpooled together, which saved not only gas but also allowed for some bonding time.

Gatorade and Goldfish were shared among the team, already as close as a family. When team captain Alex BT found no scoreboard, he remembers, “I simply relied on Goldfish that had fallen to the ground to indicate the score. One enormous pile, visible from space, represented Wayland, the other, Weston.” This good use of would-be-wasted Goldfish shows not only BT’s future as a environmentalist, but also demonstrates his status as a true leader.

Wayland is scheduled to toss the disc once again this afternoon at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School, where it will face a strong and formidable foe in what is sure to be yet another epic match.