News Brief: Construction crew hits main gas line, heat to high school shut off

Pictured above is the entrance to WHS on Thursday, March 22nd.

Nathan Zhao and Isabel Gitten

Earlier today, a construction crew working at WHS hit the main gas line of the school in the outfield of the softball field. While Wayland Police and National Grid determine that no gas leak arose, the gas-powered heat to the school has been shut down for the rest of the day.

WHS Principal Allyson Mizoguchi outlined the situation in an email to parents and students sent at 11:51 a.m.

“Wayland Police and Fire, along with National Grid, quickly arrived on the scene to make sure that no gas had infiltrated the school buildings. While this was being determined, the main entrance to WHS was closed,” Mizoguchi wrote.

The Wayland Fire Department checked the building and determined that there was no gas infiltration in the school buildings and that students and staff are safe inside.

The campus was already closed today at 9:30 a.m. to the end of the school day due to the snow. The closed campus is still in effect.

“I am happy to report that this situation caused very little disruption to the school day,” Mizoguchi wrote. “At the present time, National Grid has shut down the gas to the school.  The buildings are currently warm, but they will start to lose heat over the next few hours.  We will dismiss at normal time.”

Students will be dismissed and allowed to leave campus at 2:15 p.m. today.