Interview with Valerie Eisenson, '11 presidential candidate

With class elections rapidly approaching, many students have seen campaign posters around campus. While entertaining, the posters don’t explain what each candidate plans to do as a class officer. WSPN contacted all of the candidates for President and Vice-President from the Class of 2011, asking candidates to talk with us about why they are running and what they hope to accomplish. Candidate Valerie Eisensen responded and sat down with us recently to talk to us about her campaign for class president.

eisenson

WSPN: What are 3 specific things you would like to accomplish if you were to be re-elected?

Eisenson: If I were to be re-elected as class president, I would set specific goals for our class to accomplish. First and foremost, I would start to raise money for prom right away because it will come up much faster than everyone thinks. I would also be sure to elect a prom committee that would contain members from every group of people in our grade so that every voice is heard in the planning. Lastly, I think it is really important that I organize a prom to bring our grade together.

WSPN: In one sentence, why are you the best choice for president?

Eisenson: I think I am the best choice for class president because I have already had two years of experience, so I know how to plan and organize successful events; Also, I am very dedicated to the class.

WSPN: What is one weakness you have as a leader?

Eisenson: One weakness that I have as a leader is that I want to do too much. I always volunteer to talk to teachers, print out flyers, sell tickets at lunch, or whatever else it is that the E-board needs doing. Although it is a weakness because it sometimes seems like I take on more than I can do, I always get everything done, and I do it well.

WSPN: What fundraisers would you plan for big events such as prom?

Eisenson: To fundraise for prom, the E-board would organize a raffle in the fall, and then in December we would organize the candy-canes to give out. In February, we would do Candy Grams, and in the months leading up to prom we could do a bottle and can drive. There are many more ideas for fundraisers that the E-board and I have discussed in the last two years as well.

WSPN: Is there anything else you would like to add, something to tell the class of 2011?

Eisenson: I think that the most important thing for the class of 2011 to realize is that there is little time next year to plan for prom. As of next fall, I will have already been to many different prom locations so that we could pick the venue that best fits our class. It is also important to know that I am extremely dedicated to the success of our class. I have been honored to be class president for the past two years, and I would love to be able to continue my responsibilities.