• WHSPO votes to withdraw prom bus subsidization to Class of 2020

• Parents request $18,000 in donations for "Late Night" after prom

ICYMI: Week of Oct. 15

ICYMI: Week of Oct. 15

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” WSPN’s news editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

Reporter Christos Belibasakis inquired into the new math department policy of re-collecting quizzes and tests. Students argue that the policy removes a key studying method, while faculty believe that assessments are formative and the policy improves test integrity.

Belibasakis joined reporter CJ Brown in the lunch line, where they wrote back with the new deli station policy of limiting meat and cheese to two ounces per sandwich.

“I think that the scale really limits what a kid wants and needs in a normal sandwich,” junior Alex Kashian said.

Features:

WSPN’s Hailey Robinson traded words with senior Ines Alpendre, an exchange student from Lisbon, Portugal. Alpendre currently plays on the girls’ varsity volleyball team and hopes to attend college in Portugal next year.

“I like that everyone is very kind and curious to know more about my country [and] what exactly I am doing here,” Alpendre said.

Sports:

Robinson and reporter Aiden Chitkara analyzed the bond between teammates and how it translates both on and off the field. They sat down with girls’ varsity soccer junior captain Kayla Poulsen, boys’ varsity soccer senior captain Jake Tyska and girls’ varsity field hockey senior captain Rose Kiefer to learn more.

“[Team bonding is] important because the way we treat each other off the field will help us on the field,” Tyska said. “We’ll be closer as a team and have stronger chemistry.”

A&E:

Brown composed a story about the 12 WHS students who recently experienced the American Music Abroad program, which brings high school students to play in Europe over the summer. The students started in late June at East Stroudsburg University in Pennsylvania before jetting off for an 18-day journey across Italy, Croatia, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

“It was a really amazing experience to travel all across Europe with my friends,” sophomore Abby Gavron said. “I got to meet tons of new people from all over the country, many of whom I still talk to. I would definitely recommend it.”

Opinion:

Guest writer and senior Elizabeth Francis collaborated with the Wayland Democratic Town Committee to put out publicity about pre-registering to vote. High school students 16 or 17 years of age may pre-register online, through mail or in person.

“Pre-registering is an easy and fast way to truly make a difference in the political climate around you,” Francis and the committee wrote.

Multimedia:

WSPN’s Caitlin Newton snapped 20 photos of the girls’ volleyball loss to Newton South and then headed to the turf for 19 photos of the girls’ field hockey defeat against Bedford. Meanwhile, WSPN’s Julia Callini and reporter Isabella Arenas collected 32 snapshots of the girls’ soccer victory against Weston and reporter Remmi Shaw documented the boys’ soccer 4-1 drubbing of Boston Latin on Oct. 17.

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...