ICYMI: Week of October 14

Credit: Nat Hsu

Meredith Prince

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Meredith Prince summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

Editor Meredith Prince and reporter Allie Nunn looked into the math department’s new addition to their curriculum: reflection books and sheets.

“In terms of the reflection sheets, our hope is to shift student thinking from one that is focused very much about grades and points and that sort of stuff [to] ideas about learning,” math Department Head Barbara Coughlin said.

Sports:

Prince and editor Ellie Tyska highlighted two Wayland baseball players who are volunteering in a beep baseball program, which is baseball designed for the visually impaired.

Meanwhile, Nunn and WSPN’s Caterina Tomassini went behind the scenes of the WHS cheerleading team.

A&E:

Managing Editor Caitlin Newton revealed WSPN’s fall scavenger hunt and the activities participants must complete to win prizes. WSPN’s Jess Reilly highlighted the WHS girls soccer program’s connection with Pam’s Run.

Opinion:

Tomassini shared her thoughts on cliques in high school and their negative effects on high school students.

“Stop sitting with your best friend – she’ll be there tomorrow,” Tomassini wrote. “Instead, opt to sit with somebody you’ve never spoken with, and you might be pleasantly surprised.”