A step-by-step day in the life of WHS community members

Vice principal Laura Cole  poses for a photo in the Commons. Cole spends her day engrossed in activities that include working with students and other teachers. Most of [the day for me]  it’s like observing classes, walking around being visible in the building, interacting with kids, Cole said.

Credit: Emily Chafe

Vice principal Laura Cole poses for a photo in the Commons. Cole spends her day engrossed in activities that include working with students and other teachers. “Most of [the day for me] it’s like observing classes, walking around being visible in the building, interacting with kids,” Cole said.

Toni Lynn Dibb

Cafeteria worker

6:00 a.m.
Wake up and get two high school students out the door on time.

7:15 a.m.
Spend some time on the iPad, read the newspaper and eat breakfast. Then, feed the cats and do some household duties such as the dishes and laundry. After that’s finished, take a shower, brush teeth and comb hair. Lastly, put on the cafeteria uniform and complete any last-minute household tasks.

9:15 a.m.
Drive from Framingham to Wayland while sitting in traffic for 30 to 45 minutes.

9:55 a.m.
Arrive at work.

10:00 a.m.
Go to the locker and retrieve the apron and hair net, wash hands and put on gloves. Next, check the daily “task list” to see the day’s responsibilities. Examples include cooking the pizza, creating the toppings bar, preparing the main lunch and setting up the sandwich bar.

11:30 a.m.
Check position rotation to see cafeteria assignment. For example: the snack bar, the pizza bar or the cash register.

11:45 a.m.
Begin to serve lunch to the first round of students.

1:15 p.m.
After all three lunches have been served, it’s time to clean the kitchen. All cafeteria staff members participate, and nobody leaves until the room is spotless.

1:45 p.m.
All kitchen staff sit together to have lunch, which is typically leftovers from the day’s menu.

2:00 p.m.
Pick up freshman daughter from Framingham High School. Once both daughters are home, spend time together chatting about the day or anything else occurring in life.

4:00 p.m.
Downtime: play on the iPad, read the news or play with the cat. After a tiring day, just sit on the couch and stare at the wall.

5:30 p.m.                                                                                                                                            Time for dinner! Meals sometime include pizza, pasta, chicken or soup.

11:00 p.m.
Lights out.

Edmund DeHoratius

Latin, Classics, and English teacher

4:30 a.m.
Wake up, then work out at home or at the local YMCA and walk the dog. After that, make sure that the kids are ready to go to school.

6:30 a.m.
Wife leaves, and then he gets ready to leave.

7:00 a.m.
Leave the house; the commute usually takes about an hour because of the Stonebridge Hill Road intersection.

8:00 a.m.
Arrive at school, get organize for the day and set up ItsLearning.

8:30 a.m.
Start teaching five different classes: Classical Literature (a junior English course), Latin III and Latin IV, Game of Life (a senior English course) and the Connect Program (a senior English and history course). Teaching five classes usually means two frees per day.

12:42 p.m.
Lunch time!

1:12 p.m.
Lunch is over, go back to teaching the remaining classes.

3:30 p.m.
Leave school and drive home, which usually involves hitting elementary school traffic in Framingham and takes around an hour.

4:30 p.m.
Get home, see the kids and shuttle them to one sporting event or another. Then, cook dinner, grade schoolwork in front of the television and catch up with emails. Finally, teach online classes for a few online schools.

10:30 p.m.
Read for 15 to 20 minutes before bed.

11:00 p.m.
Lights out!

Laura Cole

Assistant principal

6:55 a.m.
Leave the house for a 25-minute commute.

7:15 a.m.
Arrive at school and check emails.

8:00 a.m.
Sometimes there is a scheduled meeting. If there’s no meeting, then do a walkthrough of the school.

8:30 a.m.
Head outside to greet students that are coming in for the day. Make sure that everyone is getting dropped off and check out all the dogs in the cars.

8:35 a.m.
Make sure that you don’t have any unread messages or emails and observe some of the classes. Visit the library to make notes on classroom observations. Hang out in the media center until the end of first block.

9:34 a.m.
Come back to the main office area, get the attendance list from the day before, then pull out students who missed classes.

10:33 a.m.
Pull out students during advisory time to talk about missed classes. Might do a quick walkthrough in all the buildings to make sure everything is all set.

10:45 a.m.
Try to observe some more classes before lunch block or have meetings with students or parents.

11:44 a.m.
During lunch block, go to the Commons, eat lunch and hang out with kids and make sure no one is throwing food at each other.

1:00 p.m.
Usually have a department head meeting or observe some more classes. Every Tuesday, there is a 1 p.m. update meeting regarding the field renovations.

2:00 p.m.
Tuesdays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., go to the district office for an administrative meeting. If no meeting, then observe more classes.

3:00 p.m.
Head outside and say goodbye to students.

3:30 p.m.
Stay at school to respond to emails, meet with parents or maybe get ready for the next day.

5:00 p.m.
Leave school and take the 25-minute drive home.

5:25 p.m.
Arrive at home for the night.