The Good News: Week of Jan. 25

Credit: Elizabeth Zhong

In these days, we are all in desperate need of some good news. So, join WSPN’s Alyssa Dickstein as she shines light on one piece of cheerful news every week.

All day long, we are accosted by bad news. While remaining optimistic in the face of all this pessimism may be hard, it is definitely worthwhile. Both attitudes are contagious, but only one can herald a better, more welcoming world. The news of the world is often fraught, but there are still good things happening all around us. And if you need a little assistance in finding them among all the bad news making headlines, WSPN’s “The Good News” is here to help.

Today, I have two stories to share with you. The first story is unlike the typical stories I share on this column. While I usually shine light on particularly meaningful charity work or the actions of a good samaritan, this story is just random. I’m not sure if it qualifies as “good news,” but it made me laugh, so I hope it will make you laugh as well. After all, laughter isn’t a bad thing.

The first story centers around a chinese food restaurant, Cuisine AuntDai, that has recently gotten a lot of press and a spike in customers because its owner annotated their menus with statements like “not good” next to some dishes and “it’s your call” aside others. Because, as he puts it, he didn’t want the customers to be disappointed by their meals any longer. You can read his opinions on the menu and the rest of his hilarious interview with CNN here. Although, if you’re not one for self deprecating humor, maybe just skip to the second story. Really, “it’s your call.”

“A lot of people want to be the best… and we are simply not the best,” the owner said. “That’s a fact.”

The second story is more in line with what I typically consider to be good news. It is about the principal of a high school in Charleston, South Carolina who is a true hero. In the words of NBC News, he works both day and night to help his students, literally. He took a second job stocking shelves at a local store to support students below the poverty line. After a full day of work in the school building, he works an overnight shift and gives his entire second paycheck to students who need it. After hearing about the genuine heart of its employee, the store made a check of $50,000 out to the high school for student aid.

“It’s quite simple, simplistic—just learn to help others,” he said. “That is one of the greatest things that we could do in terms of human beings.”