Since the passing of Article 21 in the June 22, 2022 town meeting, the town has started construction on the Council on Aging (COA) and Community Center.
News Brief: Construction on Council on Aging and Community Center begins
May 3, 2024

Warrior Grill: A wellness teacher’s efforts to bring healthy breakfast into students’ lives

Credit: Sophia Verma
Wellness teacher Scott Parseghian, along with freshman Joshua Magyar, freshman Trevor Rosser and sophomore Emiko Niimi, prepare breakfast sandwiches for the free hot breakfast initiative. “There’s just enough room for three or four people to be [cooking] and get the feeling of if they ever want to run a restaurant or a business where they are behind the grill,” Parseghian said.

On Thursday, Nov. 2, Wayland High School wellness teacher Scott Parseghian led a free hot breakfast program for students at the “Warrior Grill,” located inside the WHS kitchen, from 7:30 to 9 a.m. Parseghian started the program to ensure that students can have a healthy breakfast to start their day off right. The first event was held on Friday Oct. 27, and due to its popularity, Parseghian decided to continue the initiative for the second time.

Students in the Healthy Culinary Skills class, a semester-long class run by Parseghian that teaches culinary skills and healthy eating behaviors, volunteered their time to cook the breakfast. In the class, students learn how to plan and shop for specific meals, as well as prepare and create a variety of meal options, skills they were able to apply to cooking breakfast for students. Along with Parseghian, freshman Joshua Magyar, freshman Trevor Rosser and sophomore Emiko Niimi volunteered to help cook for the “Warrior Grill.”

“As wellness teachers, we often hear that students aren’t getting a great breakfast in the morning,” Parseghian said. “I heard that [one of my students] had a donut for breakfast. When we’re talking about nutrition and talking to kids in health [class], one of the questions we always ask is, ‘what did you have for breakfast?’ or ‘how did you start your day?’ The kids usually say nothing or pure junk.”

Parseghian offered English muffin sandwiches with the options of bacon, egg, sausage and cheese. During the first free breakfast program, he also offered breakfast burritos. In the future, he hopes to add bagels and croissants to the menu.

“Bacon, egg and cheese is definitely the most popular,” Parseghian said. “Maybe we’ll try something different next time.”

Wayland Public Schools Food Services Director Cheryl Judd made the hot breakfast option free for every student to ensure that all students had the option to access a nutritious meal at the beginning of their day.

“Only the first [sandwich] is free, but she got [the initiative] passed through the Massachusetts free breakfast and lunch [bill],” Parseghian said. “I think it’s key [that the breakfast] is free [because the breakfast] gets a lot of kids there. I just walk in the hallway [and I get] a lot of ‘thank you’s’ and [questions of] when we are doing it again. That’s the good stuff.”

By keeping the free breakfast program in place, Parseghian believes that more students will have the opportunity to start their day with a nourishing meal, promoting their overall well-being.

“I think more kids will eat breakfast [with this initiative],” senior Amelia Furlong said. “I think more kids, even if they do eat breakfast, [will have] a healthier option. Everyone feels better when they eat a good meal.”

Furlong believes that the program should continue because it is beneficial to students.

“[The free breakfast is] definitely a cool initiative,” Furlong said. “I hope that it continues, I would eat it everyday.”

Some students found that the “Warrior Grill” helped them get a good start to their day and allowed them to feel energized during school.

“I think [the free hot breakfast] is helping students because it’s a good way to save money,” sophomore Mia Daniella said. “It’s really beneficial [because] I’m not starving in the morning. I think [free breakfast] has always been a good thing.”

Parseghian hopes to continue the program with the help of his cooking class students. He believes that the program has had a positive impact on students so far, and he would like to see the positive impact continue.

“I’ll do [the free breakfast] for as long as I can,” Parseghian said. “Right now, the plan is [to have one free breakfast] at least once an eight day cycle, so that would be every other week. [The cooking class students] are going to rotate around and help out again.”

$235
$1500