ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

ICYMI: Week of Nov. 27 – WHS winter sports preview, cross country state championship and SADD dodgeball tournament

Credit: Alyssa Ao

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Selena Liu summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Features:
Staff Reporters Marissa Mendoza and Sofia Ciciarelli produced an article on student and staff thoughts on fall break. Staff Reporters Olivia Green and Maggie Buffum wrote about teachers and students reflecting on the transition from middle school to high school.
Sports:
WSPN’s Chloe Zilembo recapped WHS’s fall sports playoff games. WSPN’s Jeffrey Zhang analyzed athletes in the Nitto ATP Finals. Ciciarelli produced a video on the recap and future of the Wayland freshman football team.
Meanwhile, Mutlimedia Co-Editor Sasha Libenzon previewed WHS’s winter sports. Staff Reporter Natalie Greenaway introduced WHS girls varsity soccer captains for the 2024 season.
Opinion:
WSPN’s Ryan Chase wrote about Hamas’ effect on Jews everywhere.
“Before the attack on Israel on Oct. 7, I had never feared being Jewish. I had never thought I would feel unsafe in my school environment or other places in my everyday life,” Chase wrote. “But now, the simple act of turning on my phone is scary, as I don’t know what antisemitic or hateful messages I might read, or what gruesome images I may see.”
A&E:
Staff Reporters Natasha Janoff and Jennifers Shine produced an article on the Artist of the Month, Ava Renneker. Staff Reporters Melina Barris and Makenzie Macchi wrote about the Fashionista of the Month, Katherine Bassen. Meanwhile, Staff Reporter Sophia Verma reviewed the “Five Nights at Freddy’s” movie.
Multimedia:
Libenzon photographed cross country wrapping up its season at the state championship. Greenaway and Libenzon produced a gallery on SADD’s annual dodgeball tournament. Staff Reporters Carolina Sdoia and Bowen Morrison photographed Color Blast.
Meanwhile, Co-Editor Hallie Luo, Sdoia and Morrison produced a gallery on a capella. Staff Reporters Jane Tardif, Jessi Dretler, Vanessa Taxiarchis and Sdoia photographed the student council’s Spikeball tournament.
Podcast:
Editor Abby Raftery, WSPN’s Mischa Lee and Dretler broke down Wayland’s news in Weekly Breakdown Episode 72. Meanwhile, Tardif produced a Friday Fast Five on EBM’s WayCal.