ICYMI: Week of April 22 – Student Council’s Field Night, 2024-2025 SADD leaders and the impact of farmers markets

Chris Fay: Swinging for success this baseball season

Credit: Courtesy of Chris Fay
WHS baseball coach and wellness teacher Chris Fay coaches his athletes and teaches them skills that he believes they will be able carry with them throughout their daily lives.

As the spring sports season commences, teams begin setting goals for how they want their season to look. Wayland High School wellness teacher and boys varsity baseball coach Chris Fay hopes to lead the baseball team to victory this season. Whether he’s on the baseball diamond or teaching wellness classes, Fay aims for passion and determination. Fay has grown up with an unfaltering love for baseball, and hopes to pass it down to those in the Wayland community.

Fay played baseball throughout high school and became invested in the game. He then coached college baseball for a number of years at Newbury College in Brookline. His love for baseball transformed into his own business, called Next Pitch Baseball, which launched in the fall of 2019. Fay has worked with athletes of all ages, from youth to high school to college levels. Fay’s inspiration to start coaching the boys baseball team started with his desire to see the players grow up and improve their baseball skills.

“I’ve been a part of the Wayland community for well over 10 years,” Fay said. “I was a little league president for many years and it’s been great to see these kids grow up. It’s just great to see the progress [the athletes have] made, and [my hope is] to grow the sport.”

Fay argues that baseball is more than just a game. The strategies and teamwork that players utilize on the field can be taken off the field as well. To teach baseball means to teach players hard work and determination.

“Coaching these kids in baseball will also teach them life lessons that they’ll be able to take with them long after the game is over,” Fay said.

Fay’s goal for baseball is to see lots of kids enjoy the sport. He wants to spread the love for baseball and see more kids to try it out. Fay hopes that his spring 2024 team can make it as far as possible in the season, and that his players will work hard and practice as much as they can.

“The baseball team and I would love to get back into the playoffs,” Fay said. “But, really, our ultimate goal is just to try to get better each and every day.”

Through the use of Fay’s baseball techniques and strategies, his players are able to articulate goals for the new season, incorporating their hard work and their team dynamic through communication.

“This year, I’m hoping we get closer with the team while working hard in practices and winning a lot of games,” varsity baseball captain and senior Ezra Wyner said.

The desire to win games this season is unanimous amongst the members of the baseball team. The boys hope to beat their previous record and go further into the playoffs than they did last season.

“I just hope we have fun and win some games,” varsity baseball player Spencer Kates said.

Overall, Fay hopes to have a memorable baseball season and to continue to share his devotion to the sport and to his team.

“I just absolutely love the game,” Fay said. “I love baseball and I love bringing that passion to the kids.”