Warrior Weekly: Promising signs

(Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

Before I recap the Warriors’ performance in the second week of the season, I would like to say that it was great to see the scoreboard working for Friday night’s football home opener. Despite a late charge, the Warriors fell 35-21 to Battle Santos and Nauset Regional High School. It’s too bad the power for the scoreboard wasn’t back earlier in the week. It could have shown the thrilling 2-2 tie by the field hockey team against rival Weston, the girls soccer team’s first win of the season or the boys soccer team’s 3-1 thrashing of Acton-Boxborough (AB).

Anyway, week two of the fall season saw more success than week one. Teams played better, but for the most part, the end results were the same.

The girls volleyball team went to Norton last Monday and forced the game to the fifth set, but came up just short, losing 3 games to 2. With two home games this week, the team is hoping to secure their first win of the year.

With their early success last week, I found an excuse to finally learn the rules of field hockey. Thanks to seniors Jess Hayward and Jess Greenwood, I can now add field hockey to the list of sports I understand. They played a tough Weston team to a 2-2 tie, proving that they could potentially repeat as DCL Small champs. On Saturday, they went to AB, where they lost for the first time this year, 3-0. They play three games this week; hopefully they can keep up the early success.

The football team fell 35-21 last Friday night. The Warriors shuffled quarterbacks early, but it didn’t matter who was under center, because they could not contain Nauset’s pressure. On the defensive side of the ball, it wasn’t much different. Nauset ran every which way in the backfield, making it hard to follow the ball. Next week, the Warriors are back on the road against Monument.

Girls soccer tallied their first win of the year on Tuesday, 3-1 against Boston Latin. They followed that by putting up a tough game against AB, but fell 2-0. Despite their 1-3 record, the girls are 1-0 in the DCL Small. This week, they play Newton-South and DCL Small foe Weston.

For those who don’t know, I am on the boys soccer team. After an 0-2 start, we turned it around this week. First we went to Boston Latin, our first DCL Small opponent of the year, and won 3-2, with three second half goals. Then we came back home with a match up against AB. We put together our best performance of the young season, winning 3-1. Like the girls, we face Newton-South and Weston this week.

Teams made promising strides in week two, and that will hopefully carry over to week three. This week will be crucial to see not only what the season will look like for Wayland teams, but also how my fantasy football will fare — right now it’s in an 0-2 hole. It’s all right; I have faith in all teams to perform well this week. As always, check Warrior Scores for the latest scores from this week’s action.