Warrior Weekly: BYHL

This week is a big week for Wayland sports fans. The boys’ hockey team has a chance to clinch a playoff berth, boys’ basketball will play for the DCL small title on Friday, and boys’ hockey plays a much-anticipated game against Weston this Saturday at Rivers.

It really hasn’t been too winter-y out this year, and this has only hindered the BYHL (BackYard Hockey League).

Although the last few weeks weren’t cold enough for the ice to freeze, this weekend was, and I was able to play for the first time this season. Now, winter sports like skiing, snowboarding and ice skating are not my strength.

I’ve ice skated a total of five times but that doesn’t stop me from having fun. I can go forwards, and that is about it. I can’t stop or go backwards, so people skate circles around me. But it’s still a lot of fun, so long as Doug Lyons doesn’t put his foot through the ice and end the day’s games.

I was even able to net two goals this weekend, adding two more to my career total, which is now four. Hopefully the winter will continue to be cold so we can get a few more games in on the rink, but there have been talks of moving to roller-hockey. Regardless, BYHL has become my new Sunday Club.

Warrior Recap
By the end of this week, almost all the winter sports will be done or looking towards postseason play. With the winter season coming to a close, here’s a quick look at how teams have done so far.

Girls’ swimming locked up another sectional championship this weekend, but this one had a slightly different feel. The girls are using their depth to their advantage this year rather than having All-American swimmers.

Boys’ swimming had an impressive showing at their sectionals finishing 11th. Both the boys’ and girls’ teams have their state championship meets this weekend.

Boys’ basketball is preparing for the DCL small title game on Friday against Waltham. It’s not actually the title game, but the winner will be the champion of the small. Hopefully we can give the basketball team a solid home court advantage, which has been lacking lately.

Girls’ basketball had another tough week, losing both of their games. With only three left, I think the girls are good for one more win, but hey, I’ve talked to the players and they’re enjoying it – isn’t that all that matters?

Girls’ hockey did something for the first time last week they haven’t done all year: tie. The girls tied both Waltham and a strong Westford Academy team, 1-1. The girls now sit at 10-5-2 and are playing for seeding in the tournament.

Boys’ hockey is still looking to clinch their tournament berth. They need two more points with three games left.

Two wrestlers qualified for All-States this weekend, junior Kevin Kelley (182) and senior John Monahan (285), good luck to them!

This week is a big week for Wayland sports fans. The boys’ hockey team has a chance to clinch a playoff berth, boys’ basketball will play for the DCL small title on Friday, and boys’ hockey plays a much-anticipated game against Weston this Saturday at Rivers.

I would recommend trying to go to any or all the games. Believe it not, spring is around the corner. As always check Warrior Scores for the latest. Enjoy February break!

$210
$1500