ICYMI: Week of December 2 – Disney+, fall sports wrap-ups, Spirit Day

Credit: Nat Hsu

Meredith Prince

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Meredith Prince summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

WSPN’s Joanna Barrow and reporter Katherine Kim highlighted a new class to debut for freshmen called FLIP (Freshman Life and Identity Practicum) next semester.

“It’s an opportunity for a class to engage in skill-building around communication and the ability to express yourself and talk about difficult conversations,” drama teacher and FLIP developer Aidan O’Hara said.

Features:

Editor-in-Chief Kevin Wang took a close look into how having a legacy to elite college influences students’ admissions. Reporter Allie Nunn also discussed the new Disney+ streaming service and how it is competing with Netflix.

Sports: 

Reporter Dante Coppola discussed the WHS girls and boys basketball teams and how losing players to private school has affected them. Editor Ellie Tyska highlighted the fall sports DCL All Stars.

Meanwhile, Tyska alongside editor Hailey Robinson and reporter Deirdre Brown reflected on the WHS cheer team’s season and their third-place win in the DCL.

A&E:

Editor Christina Taxiarchis highlighted junior Aydan McGah as November’s Artist of the Month.

“Painting makes me feel calm since it’s an escape from all the stress from school work. It relaxes me and allows me to focus on something fun,” McGah said.

Opinion:

Wang and guest writer Ryan Urato discussed the effects of overwhelmed and over-scheduled high school students in a side-by-side opinion piece.

Multimedia:

Editor Caroline Lampert snapped pictures of students decorating the wings during Color Blast before Spirit Day. Reporters Sammy Johnson and Julia Wegerbauer captured the annual powderpuff game versus Weston.

Editor Julia Callini shot photos at the annual Spirit Day where students dressed up to show spirit for their grade and participated in many activities.