ICYMI: Week of February 3 – Latin Club, college CAPA concert, basketball galleries

Credit: Nat Hsu

Meredith Prince

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Meredith Prince summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

WSPN’s Christina Taxiarchis briefed the cancellation of the Lunar New Year Celebration due to the coronavirus outbreak.

“Unfortunately, the celebration has been canceled due to the Novel Coronavirus in Wuhan, China,” Taxiarchis wrote. “Although it was a difficult decision, the WCAA believes that it will serve the best interest of the Wayland community during this time.”

Features:

WSPN’s Emily Chafe and reporter Sidney O’Rourke highlighted the reemergence of the Latin Club, which now meets every Thursday morning with around 20 students attending per meeting. The members of the club consist mostly of junior Latin students.

“I was [in the club] a number of years ago. It was a much bigger thing on campus than it is now,” Latin teacher Lee Krasnoo said. “Latin was much bigger when I was here to – there were four Latin teachers when I was a student here, so [the club had] a much bigger number [of students].”

Sports:

Editor Ellie Tyska and WSPN’s Jimmy Paugh highlighted lessons they learned from the MIAA sportsmanship summit.

Meanwhile, reporters Andrew Boyer and Sam White talk about the latest happenings in the NBA in an episode of “Half Hour Hook.” Reporter Garrett Spooner appears in this episode and junior Billy Cossart makes a guest appearance.

A&E: 

WSPN’s Alyssa Dickstein reviewed Harry Styles’ newest album, “Fine Line.” WSPN’s Julia Callini and Emily Chafe filmed the college CAPA concert that took place at WHS on Feb. 1.

Multimedia: 

Reporter Eliya Howard-Delman captured the boys varsity basketball team’s loss against Waltham. Reporters Kaitlyn Mabe and Emily Staiti shot girls basketball’s win against Waltham.