Since the passing of Article 21 in the June 22, 2022 town meeting, the town has started construction on the Council on Aging (COA) and Community Center.
News Brief: Construction on Council on Aging and Community Center begins
May 3, 2024

ICYMI: Week of April 8 – WSPN’s success at Kansas City, Student Corps’ book drive and Wayland Arts’ search for new storage space

Credit: Alyssa Ao

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Selena Liu summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:
Co-Editor-in-Chiefs Nadya Chase and Talia Macchi briefed WSPN’s success at the Kansas City journalism convention. Staff Reporter Ainsley Jay briefed Tuesday’s schedule change. Staff Reporter Tasha Janoff broke down the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
Meanwhile, Jay wrote about equity and inclusion speaker Danika Manso-Brown speaking at a WaylandCAN event. Staff Reporters Sofia Ciciarelli and Marissa Mendoza produced an article and gallery on Elodie Kubik’s seventh annual ice plunge. Jay and Janoff wrote about Student Corps’ book drive for prisoners.
Features:
Ciciarelli produced part one of the Happiness Series: A Q&A with Wayland residents. Staff Reporters Melina Barris and Makenzie Macchi wrote about WHS’ Connect Program and innovation courses. Staff Reporter Annika Martins interviewed Red Cross Club’s leaders.
Meanwhile, Staff Reporters Madeline Zajac and Mendoza produced chapter three of Humans of WHS. Staff Reporters Olivia Green, Fiona Peltonen and Maggie Buffum wrote about the Together for Hope: Boston Addiction Conference. Jay produced an article on Wayland Arts’ search for a new storage space.
Sports:
Staff Reporters Vanessa Taxiarchis, Edge Wheeler and Alex Evangelista discussed the benefits of captain’s practices at WHS. Buffum and Janoff spotlighted boys varsity baseball coach Chris Fay. Staff Reporter Bowen Morrison shared his predictions for the first round of the NFL draft.
Opinion:
Zajac shared her opinions on the overlooked consequences of sleep deprivation on students everywhere.
“Although many people are beginning to recognize and acknowledge the effect that sleep deprivation has on young people, the issue still remains,” Zajac wrote. “The best thing that you can do for yourself is try your best to prioritize your sleep and make room for the things in your life that you need.”
Multimedia:
Staff Reporter Carolina Sdoia photographed the varsity boys volleyball team’s first win of the season. WSPN’s Ryan Chase and Zajac produced a video on Wayland Cultural Council’s utility box project.
Podcast:
Buffum, M. Macchi and Green broke down Wayland’s news in Weekly Breakdown Episode 81.