ICYMI: Week of November 5

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” WSPN’s news editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

WSPN’s Julia Callini previewed the AP Government-sponsored mock midterm elections at WHS. According to AP Government teacher Eva Urban, the results of the governor’s election between Jay Gonzalez and Charlie Baker will be delivered to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum to compare with different schools across the state. In addition, AP Government students pretended to represent candidates to learn how a political campaign is run and the effort and tactics poured into one.

Features:

Reporter Meredith Prince turns mock ballots into real ones as she delves into the experiences of first-time voters at WHS. According to a survey taken by 17 seniors, only four planned on voting. Each of the three questions on the referendum won a “yes” majority.

“Students voting can make a big impact because there are not that many people who vote currently, and I think [students] need to get out and do it,” senior Audrey Chen said.

Sports:

Reporters CJ Brown and Aiden Chitkara chipped away at the story of sophomore Liam Gill, October’s Athlete of the Month. Gill has accrued several achievements, ranging from winning Dual County League MVP as a freshman to championing four straight New England Junior PGA tournaments and counting. Gill repeated freshman year at Catholic Memorial in West Roxbury but has returned to Wayland for the long term.

“This game is like no other,” Gill said. “There are going to be good breaks at some point and at other times there are going to be bad breaks.”

Fall Sports:

Remmi Shaw – boys’ varsity soccer falls to Lincoln-Sudbury 0-1 on Monday, Oct. 29 (31 photos).

Remmi Shaw – boys’ varsity soccer defeats Bedford 5-3 in the North Quarterfinals on Sunday, Nov. 4 (48 photos). The team has since won the North Finals and will face Holliston on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

Josh Schreiber – football defeats Dracut 34-26 in the North Semifinals on Friday, Nov. 2 (33 photos). The team fell to Gloucester on Friday, Nov. 9 in the North Finals.

Jess Reilly – girls’ volleyball defeats Bedford 3-1 on Tuesday, Oct. 23 (27 photos). The team fell to Melrose in the second round of the playoffs 0-3. This was the team’s first time to the tournament in five years.