In Case You Missed It: Week of May 21

In Case You Missed It: Week of May 21

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” WSPN’s News Editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:
WSPN’s Hailey Robinson and Janani Gandhi documented where most of WHS’ seniors will be heading off to college in the fall. Wayland graduates will be spending the next chapter in their lives across the nation from Hawaii to Florida and Texas.

Multimedia:
WSPN’s Kate Balicki and Emma Dilanni photographed the seniors’ annual Progressive Dinner on May 19. Senior Olivia Waldron hosted appetizers, senior Jordan Rubin hosted entrées and senior Haydn Davies hosted desserts.

WSPN staff took a video and a photo gallery of the Window Dance Ensemble’s recent performances.

Features:
Reporter Caterina Tomassini spoke with seniors who are planning to take a gap year between high school and college. Senior Sam Wolff will spend six months in Spain and four in Thailand. He hopes the experience will enrich his knowledge of Spanish, Thai kickboxing and his own inner self. Meanwhile, senior Sophia Alfaro will travel to India through the program “Global Citizen Year.”

Sports:
Editor Duncan Stephenson signed off on his blog, “Warrior Weekly.” His three years of work on the segment has yielded pieces such as his “Column on Patriots dynasty,” “Patriots offseason guide” and “Letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.” WSPN will continue Warrior Weekly into the 2018-2019 school year.

Editor Isabel Gitten snapped 47 photos of the girls’ lacrosse loss against Concord-Carlisle.

A&E:
WSPN’s Eden Vanslette and Nicole Erdekian recapped the events of the annual WHS Film Festival. Directed by junior Jack Gaddis, written by junior Tucker Jones and starred by senior Ethan Kelly, the film “Old Fashioned Romance” took home eleven awards, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor.

WSPN’s Masha Yakhkind and Eden Vanslette recommended 15 things to do before graduating from WHS.

Opinion:
Reporter Teresa Hank-Gomez argued for increased gun control in America following the school shooting in Santa Fe, Texas. An exchange student herself, Hank-Gomez describes her particular disturbance from the death of Pakistani exchange student Sabika Sheikh.

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...