ICYMI: Week of October 1

ICYMI: Week of October 1

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” WSPN’s news editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

Reporter Christos Belibasakis went behind the scenes on the recent shift in assistant principal responsibilities. Assistant Principal James Nocito is now dean of all students, and Assistant Principal Ethan Dolleman has taken on a freshman history class.

“This year, I am teaching a class as a social studies teacher, which is adding some time to my plate,” Dolleman said. “But other than that, I still do a lot of the things I did previously.”

Reporter Caterina Tomassini sat down with five candidates for freshman president or vice president before the elections on Oct. 4. Freshmen Andrew Zhao, Garrett Spooner, Kylie Byrne and Taylor Hsu emerged victorious as the Class of 2022’s next president, vice president, treasurer and secretary, respectively.

“I am a hard worker and a leader,” Zhao said. “I have the leadership skills to be the president of our class, and I also will work hard when I am president to make the Class of 2022 the best class.”

Features:

Editor Caitlin Newton and reporters Meredith Prince, Christina Taxiarchis and Nicole Erdekian uncovered the stories of four new teachers at WHS: math teacher Jacy Anzalone, biology teacher Julie VanRooyen, physics teacher Laura Kreutter and teaching and football assistant Jack O’Rourke.

“It’s nice being here after school and getting a connection with kids [who are a part] of the football program,” O’Rourke said. “It makes my job more comfortable here and on the field. It’s really cool knowing them in both aspects.”

Sports:

WSPN’s CJ Brown and Charlie Moore touched on both local and national sports news in the fifth installment of their podcast, “Sports Junkies.” They discuss girls’ soccer and Wayland football in addition to the Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics.

“Last year, I did block a PAT [against Newton South] that was returned for two points, and it was the single greatest moment of my life,” Brown said.

Opinions:

Editor Kyle Chen speaks of recusing oneself from the stress of high school and learning to enjoy life in the most recent edition of “Kyle’s Column.”

“I think we all ought to take a step back and think for a moment about what’s truly important in life,” Chen wrote. “I’m sure the future is a lot brighter than a lot of us might think.”

Editor-In-Chief Nathan Zhao recounted his time at the Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference, where he enjoyed a five-day, all-expenses-paid stay in Washington D.C., a $1,000 scholarship and the opportunity to meet some of the most extraordinary student and professional journalists across the nation.

“The future of journalism is bright, and I’m thankful to have experienced that future this summer,” Zhao wrote.

Multimedia:

Co-Editor Eden Vanslette caught 25 moments of the football team’s victory over Concord-Carlisle on Friday, Sept. 28, while Prince and reporter Remmi Shaw snapped 47 photos of the annual Kicks For Cancer game, in which the boys’ varsity soccer team tied Acton-Boxborough.

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...