ICYMI: Week of March 30 – Colleges switching to test-optional, students react to online learning, 1991 WHS boys basketball champions

Credit: Nat Hsu

Meredith Prince

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Meredith Prince summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

WSPN’s Christina Taxiarchis and Hailey Robinson discuss how colleges across the country have begun to switch over to a test-optional policy because of the coronavirus outbreak. Meanwhile, WSPN’s Remmi Shaw and reporter Ellie Smith take a look into how the coronavirus is affecting the Class of 2020’s senior plans.

Editor Meredith Prince and reporter Taylor McGuire spoke with WHS graduates who were forced home from abroad programs due to the coronavirus.

Features:

Business manager Jimmy Paugh highlights how the recent COVID-19 outbreak has made it difficult for seniors to decide on which school they would like to attend next year.

Meanwhile, reporter Lauren Medeiros takes a close look into students’ reactions to online learning. Reporter Katherine Kim also looks into students’ reactions to canceled ACT and SAT tests.

Sports:

Reporter Garrett Spooner highlights the story of the 1991 WHS boys basketball team, which won a state championship.

“Growing up in the 80’s with Larry Bird and those great teams playing for championships every year, we got to play on that same floor and use the same locker room,” 1991 basketball player Keir Thielen said. “With all that nostalgia and history, it was surreal.”

A&E:

Reporter Brendan Ho reviews Spanish Love Songs’ album, “Brave Faces, Everyone.” Editor Taxiarchis and WSPN’s Jessica Reilly highlight 10 movies to watch on Netflix during quarantine.

Reporter Deirdre Brown discusses her top 10 TV shows to watch on Netflix, especially during quarantine.

Opinion:

Paugh discusses his belief that everybody should attend summer camp at some point in their life. In an edition of “Chat with Cat,” WSPN’s Caterina Tomassini discusses the idea that “Coronacation” is not an appropriate term to use during this time.

Multimedia:

Editor Julia Callini demonstrates how to create an at-home latté during your free time.