ICYMI: Week of January 2 – New COVID-19 protocols, boys hockey win and the definition of “woke”

Credit: Nat Hsu

Tess Alongi

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Tess Alongi summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:
Editor Tess Alongi briefed students on the new COVID-19 rules as students returned to school after break. Alongi, along with WSPN’s Genevieve Morrison and staff reporter Nina Wilson, introduced readers to the CLC (Collaborative Language Commons). Staff Reporter Ari Zukerman reported on Wayland’s updated plan for affordable housing.

Co-Editor-in-Chief Garrett Spooner informed readers on the new spectator rules at DCL sporting events which minimize attendance to two family members per athlete. Spooner also notified students of a snow day on Friday, Jan.7. WSPN’s Emily Roberge highlighted the Class of 2023’s Christmas tree pickup fundraiser.

Sports:
Staff Reporter Sasha Libenzon shared the recent success of the girls Wayland-Weston crew team and their plans for the future.

“From winning states, to placing at every meet and re-qualifying for the Head Of The Charles, the team’s next goal is winning nationals during its upcoming spring season,” Libenzon said.

Multimedia:
Editor Charlotte Thirman produced a gallery from girls basketball’s loss to Bedford. Staff Reporter Carolina Sdoia shared photos from Wayland wrestling’s loss to North Attleboro. Staff Reporter Morgen Warner took photos at Wayland boys hockey’s big win against Lexington.

A&E:
Guest Writer Bryn Leonard shared her opinion on “Crime and Punishment” in her column, Bryn’s Books.

“Overall, ‘Crime and Punishment’ is unequivocally an incredible novel that was worth the lengthy read,” Leonard said. “It was very dramatic and enthralling, and Dostoevsky’s intense writing allowed me to see into the mind of a mentally unstable man falling into the rabbit hole of guilt and despair after committing murder.”

Opinion:
Staff Reporter Kally Proctor wrote about how she believes that co-enrollment requirements are a restriction on student freedom. Staff Reporter Reva Datar talked about how imperialism isn’t a thing of the past with COVID-19. Genevieve Morrison wrote to her critics about her thought on “woke.”

Guest Writer Anika Frutman produced a cartoon about Wayland High School students on the @waylandsnoozers Instagram account. Staff Reporter Hallie Luo shared her Opinion on why “West Side Story” failed to preform. Proctor also highlighted the past and future of U.S. abortion laws.

Broadcast:
Staff Reporters Abby Raftery, Mischa Lee and Emma Zocco spoke about Round Tables and COVID-19 Shutdowns in Episode 39 of Weekly Breakdown.