• Early dismissal at 1:05 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 12

• Math department goes back on newly instituted policy, will hand out tests to students

• School Committee violated state law according to state attorney general Maura Healey

ICYMI: Week of Nov. 12

ICYMI: Week of Nov. 12

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” news editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:
Editor Kevin Wang conducted a three-part analysis of the changing school start times in Wayland. “Part I: The Start Times” details the start time finalists, the vote on Nov. 19 and Wayland’s timeline of work. “Part II: 7:30 vs. 8:30 a.m.” covers the controversy of whether or not a later start time is preferable. “Part III: Implementation” explains the implications of a later start time and what it would mean for Wayland community members on the ground level. Opinion Editor Kyle Chen previewed the walkout that some students are partaking in to protest the change.

WSPN’s Julia Callini recapped the results of the mock midterms at WHS and compared them to statewide results. The graphics show that WHS students voted almost entirely in line with the rest of the state, with WHS and state results differing within 2 to 3 percent.

Features:
WSPN’s Charlie Moore and Christos Belibasakis followed-up on their story from last year about four WHS football players who chose to kneel during the national anthem. Currently, the students are no longer kneeling, believing they have conveyed their message and are turning to other venues to spread it elsewhere.

Sports:
The past week was all about boys’ soccer, as the team cruised through Lynnfield on Sunday, Holliston on Wednesday and Nipmuc on Saturday on the way to its second state championship in three years. Moore explores the team’s journey in this year’s first edition of the Warrior Weekly blog.

Meanwhile, Moore joined reporter CJ Brown in the seventh episode of Sports Junkies to preview the state championship with senior player Jack Dretler and junior player Kyle Mabe. In addition, the two recapped past happenings in the MLB and the NFL.

A&E:
WSPN’s Julia Callini previewed WHSTE’s showing of “You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown.” The play ran from Nov. 16 to Nov. 18. Drawing upon his experience in previous productions, Director Aiden O’Hara decided to bring students and teachers together for the play.

Opinion:
Chen spoke of teenage drug addiction and how the story of his friend Ryan in California has given him a personal connection to the issue that many teenagers are acquiring increasingly.

Belibasakis reviewed Sony’s first installment of its Marvel Cinematic Universe, “Venom.” The film stars Tom Hardy, Riz Ahmed, Michelle Williams and Scott Haze.

Multimedia:
Remmi Shaw – Boys’ soccer defeats Dracut (31 photos)
Remmi Shaw – Boys’ football falls to Gloucester (33 photos)

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...