• Wrestling wins quad meet against Keefe Tech, Lexington and Holliston on Saturday 12/8

• BREAKING: School Committee votes for 8:35 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. WHS schedule, shorter Wednesdays to remain

• Second vote for WHS Athletic Complex Renovation project postponed from November to April

ICYMI: Week of Nov. 26

ICYMI: Week of Nov. 26

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News editor Kevin Wang summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Credit: Nat Hsu

Kevin Wang

News:
WSPN’s Nathan Zhao broke the outcome of the School Committee vote on next year’s school start times. The committee voted 4-1 in favor to change school times to begin at 8:35 a.m. and end at 3:10 p.m. while retaining an early release on Wednesdays. Vice Chair Ellen Grieco was the lone dissenter, arguing that there was insufficient research regarding elementary school start times. Members of the teacher’s union showed up wearing orange in protest of the changing start times, constituting the majority of the audience members.

“I think it’s pretty clear that we’re making the right decision,” School Committee member Kim Reichelt said.

Features:
WSPN’s Kate Balicki and Eden Vanslette dove into the lives of recent WHS graduates who decided to study abroad for their first year out. Chris Balicki, class of 2018, utilized Northeastern University’s N.U.in program to begin his business major in Thessaloniki, Greece. Kara Whitesell, class of 2018, is teaching English to kindergarten students in Bali, Indonesia through the International Volunteer Headquarters.

“Being in Bali was like living in a dream world,” Whitesell said.

Sports:
Reporter CJ Brown filled out the second installment of “Warrior Weekly” with a fall sports recap and a winter sports preview. Teams covered include football, girls’ volleyball, boys’ soccer, girls’ basketball, boys’ swimming and diving, boys’ hockey and wrestling.

Brown joined WSPN’s Aiden Chitkara in the eighth episode of “Sports Junkies” in which they interviewed wrestling captain Erik Sweeney and talked about both college and professional football.

A&E:
Reporter Allie Nunn previewed a cappella’s annual opening concerts, which took place this year on Monday, Nov. 26 and Saturday, Dec. 1. The three Wayland groups, the Madrigals, the Testostertones and the Muses, performed for free on Monday’s show and joined three collegiate groups on Saturday night for $18 a head.

“It’s gonna be great as usual,” Testostertones member Gavyn Davies said. “[There’ll be] great music and a ton of fun.”

Reporters Cammy Lehr and Isabella Arenas had cast members of “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” share thoughts on the recent set of performances prior to Thanksgiving break. Meanwhile, reporters Emily Chafe and Madeline Maurer interviewed the newest “Fashionistas of the Week,” sophomore David Lathan and freshman Emily Chau.

Opinion:
Reporter Meredith Prince reviewed “Bohemian Rhapsody,” a new movie detailing the rise of Freddie Mercury and his band, “Queen.” The film stars Emmy-winner Rami Malek as Mercury.

“I went into the theater knowing almost nothing about the band and walked out as if I had a personal connection with every member of Queen,” Prince wrote.

Multimedia:

Kevin Wang, News Editor and Copy Editor

Kevin Wang, Class of 2020, is the news section editor and a copy editor for WSPN. This is his third year on the staff. He is secretary of the Class of...