Since the passing of Article 21 in the June 22, 2022 town meeting, the town has started construction on the Council on Aging (COA) and Community Center.
News Brief: Construction on Council on Aging and Community Center begins
May 3, 2024

The impact of preseason training for the girls lacrosse team

Credit: Courtesy of @waylandgirlslacrosse on Instagram
Join WSPN’s Natalie Greenaway as she discusses the benefits of attending preseason for lacrosse before the spring season begins.

After making their way to the Division II State Finals finals last year, the Wayland girls varsity lacrosse team has been working hard during the off season in hopes of a victory this year. Some players practice their skills on their own, while others join training groups and teams.

Head coach Ashley Means along with Stacy Freda, lead a preseason training session called “Crunch Time” during the weeks leading up to tryouts. Run out of The Edge in Bedford, players undergo fitness drills and scrimmages.  With Means as one of the coaches of this training, some players feel that it prepares them for her coaching style and tactics during the season.

“Crunch Time is fun because you get to use your stick with the other players,” freshman Emily Wyner said. “It’s nice to get to play with the people we will play with during the season before it starts.”

Some players also participated in a winter lacrosse league that helped them stay in shape and keep their skills strong for the season. The winter league was held on Sunday mornings at The Edge. Players would work on drills and technique, along with scrimmaging with other players from the high school team.

“Winter League was helpful because it was a good way to meet new teammates and get some one-on-one coaching from coaches from Wayland, but also from other towns,” freshman Elle Mueller said.

The varsity team also participated in the annual Play Day on Saturday, March 23.  Play Day is a series of scrimmages between surrounding town’s teams. This gives the team a chance to play in a real game-like scenario before stepping out on the field for the first time. This also helps the coaches find aspects of their team that need to be improved in practice.

“Although the weather was not the best [on Play Day], our team was able to come together and play as well as we possibly could in a new place,” freshman Melina Antun said.

The preseason training not only helps returning players prepare for the season, but it also helps new players prepare for tryouts. The tryouts consist of running a mile and a pacer test, as well as other fitness elements along with scrimmaging and skill.

No cuts were made this season, and there is both a varsity and junior varsity team for Wayland. Although some freshmen players have expressed that they think the team is a bit hardcore, Wayland lacrosse can be known for its feeling of community and sense of belonging. Some underclassmen on the varsity team have said that their captains are great role models.

“I am always a little nervous for tryouts but I think the season will go great,” Wyner said. “Everyone who plays is so nice and I am really excited for the season to get going as a whole.”