Barrage to Perform at Wayland High School

Our school’s Field House is about to echo the intense excitement Aerosmith engendered in November 1973. Barrage, “a high-octane fiddle-fest that features an international, multi-talented cast playing an eclectic mix of music, song and dance,” as said in their website, is performing on Wednesday, November 14th, at 7:30 pm in the Field House.

Barrage’s website (http://www.barrage.ca/) tells us “Barrage has entertained millions of people around the globe. Fans in Europe, Asia and North America have enjoyed Barrage at International Festivals, Concert Performances, Special Events and TV appearances.”

For more than ten years, Barrage has led a program to educate, motivate and inspire numerous string players across the nation. They bring their performances to many schools and educational conferences.

As part of this program, Wayland and Weston High School string orchestras will join Barrage to perform two pieces by Dean Marshall, “Calypso Jam” and “Old Joe Clark.” Every string player from our school orchestra will play “Calypso Jam,” while members of Sinfonia Chamber Orchestra, which rehearses on Monday evenings, will also perform “Old Joe Clark,” the more advanced piece between the two.

The Wayland community heard the beginning of “Calypso Jam” during the Masquerade Concert at the Middle School. Teachers at Wayland High School also got a taste, as eight students from Sinfonia Chamber Orchestra played a section of “Calypso Jam” during a faculty meeting. Students were greeted with cheers of appreciation for refreshing the meeting with music.

Fine Arts Director Jane Ezbicki was present at the Aerosmith concert, which was held during her first year at Wayland High School. She compares the thrill of Barrage with that of Aerosmith.

“They will be very close. Their excitement level will be close to Aerosmith.”

Tickets are on sale now in the WHS main office or at the Wayland Depot. Adults are $15.00 and students are $10.00 Tickets will also be sold at the door the evening of the concert.