What a Wonderful Window Success

On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of this past week, Wayland High School’s finest dancers stepped gracefully onto stage. As a dancer myself, I can say with confidence that the level of talent and creativity displayed in this year’s Cinderella was exceptional. The performance was dynamic, original, and well choreographed.

Of course one of the most important factors of a performance is the costume design. It is the first aspect of the show that the audience sees. The costumes themselves help to tell the story. With a base of only a black leotard, black leggings, and black jazz pants, the Window girls (Audrey Levin, Nina Pongratz (director), Lauren Spagnuolo (director), Carolyn Tang (director), Kayla Whittemore (director), Jenn Kandrac, Kendall Barnett, Sylvia Lorenzini, Sam Sklar, Liz Entrup, Steph Connaughton, Valerie Eisenson, Mary Backman, Jamie Spagnuolo, Mary Lou Ponsetto) were able to add colorful accessories to make their costumes pop. Although the costumes were not those of the typical Cinderella, they were inventive, modern interpretations, simple yet elegant. I thoroughly enjoyed the cute aprons at the beginning as well as the glow-stick bracelets, which looked fantastic when the lights were turned low.

The performance offered a wide variety of dance and music styles, showcasing everything from ballet to hip-hop and pop to rap. The choreography, shared by the troupe members, was beautifully created and executed. The dancers were often perfectly synchronized. Each piece of music had a tangible connection to the plot, and while some pieces were quite a stretch, this is perfectly acceptable in a modern rendition of a classic tale. In addition to the eclectic music, the audience was fortunate to be treated to the voice of the talented narrator, Alex Romania. The inflection of his voice was perfect; he sounded magical, as would be expected.

Speaking of the male involvement in this classically all-female production, I am compelled to mention the addition of six strapping young gentlemen this year. I must applaud these gentlemen (Seth Harper, Pete Konowski, Travis Downs, Federico Suarez, Jon Lustig, Ryan Jordan), for they braved the stage and danced beautifully. I was especially impressed with their lifts (what strength!) and support during the girls’ pirouettes. If they desire, they could certainly have a career in dancing.

To sum up, Window’s performance this year was stellar. Both the dancing and the work done behind the stage came together to create a superb result.

Congratulations to the Window cast and staff!

$210
$1500