Girls varsity soccer enjoys the best week of its season

Last week Wayland girls varsity soccer had its best-recorded week of the season. Coach Guy Enoch sums up the team’s success: “We had great practices and games because each day the girls brought new energy and showed it in our games.”

On Wednesday, the Warriors played their rival the Wildcats at Weston High School. Wayland controlled most of the game and played with intensity. “The team is really clicking, developing, and improving together,” said Coach Enoch.

The first goal came within eight minutes, when Wayland crossed the ball in front of the net, creating a scramble among all the players. Wayland Junior Whitney Fletcher found the opportunity and scored.

In the 26th minute, freshman Cassidy Way took advantage of being at the 18 yard line when she kicked a powerful shot that traveled high into the net, making the score 2-0 at the end of the first half.

Wayland started the second half slowly, allowing the Wildcats a corner kick, which they took advantage of and scored. Soon afterward, the Warriors came back to score three more times. The scoring started with junior Mel Sperling, who received a ball off a cross from sophomore Claire Nishioka, and shot forcefully on the net. Just five minutes later, Sperling carried the ball down the field and scored again.

Cassidy Way scored the last goal with another high shot from the 18 yard line that went through the goalie’s hands. The final score was 5-1, another important win for the Warriors.

“I thought everyone played really well.  We were really offensive, taking more shots than any other game,” exclaimed Senior Captain Tory Jones, who did not play due to an ankle injury. “In the beginning of the game Coach told us to play with fire and intensity. Although we had problems in the beginning of the second half, we played well and fulfilled his goal.”

Friday was Wayland’s second game against the Arlington Spyponders. Wayland dominated most of the game and took control of their opponent. The result was an improvement from their last game against Arlington (2-0 L).

An Arlington foul inside the 18 yard line at the 17th minute awarded a penalty kick to Wayland. Senior Captain Rachel Oliver took the shot, had perfect placement wide on net, and scored. At the end of the first half, the score was 1-0 Wayland.

With 16 minutes left, a small breakaway from the Wayland defense led Arlington’s Rebecca O’Quinn to score. “We ran out of gas a little towards the end of the game, but overall we played really well,” commented Coach Enoch. The final score was a 1-1 tie.

Freshman Maeve Moynihan showed her speed during the Arlington game. Warriors have been working on such skills throughout the season.

“We are seeing emergence from freshmen players in terms of their quality of play,” said Wayland Coach Enoch. “Regardless of the record, we had our best week of games to date!”

$210
$1500