Standard transmission: the dark side of driving

To many new drivers, driving is easy. However, there is a minority of us new drivers who have to contend with a vicious old standard of driving, literally.

Standard transmission is one of the most dastardly ways to put a new driver off of driving. So what is standard transmission? Well first of all, it has many aliases, like manual, and stick. In most cars (those with automatic transmission), in order to move forward, drivers need only put the car in “drive.” A hapless few, however, must change gears in order to increase speed.

There are five total gears, first one being the starting gear and fifth being the traveling gear. First of all, you can’t have the car go 60 miles per hour while in the first gear. If attempted, the car will simply stall in response. The driver must change the gears appropriately for the speed he or she is traveling.

In addition to having to contend with gears, the driver must also coordinate with a pedal called the “clutch.” This is what starts the engine, and it is also required for changing gears. The driver must smoothly press the accelerator while releasing the clutch in order to start the car. If he or she fails to do so adequately, the car stops. That is a scary proposition for anyone who is in the middle of an intersection. To a new driver who has just barely cleared drivers ed, it is terrifying.

Using standard transmission can be overwhelming to new drivers. Yet somehow, there are people who can eventually drive in this manner. Some even love driving standards. Why would they put themselves through this torture? Because it makes you think actively about your driving. It also has better fuel efficiency. Some people like this kind of challenge, but personally, I just want to get from point A to B alive.

$210
$1500