WHY Club: Why not?

Are you interested in a fulfilling volunteer opportunity?  One of the longest running clubs in the high school, the WHY Club, is one student organization that is dedicated to community service and helping others.

The club takes on several different community service activities every year, ranging from raising money for hospital patients to volunteering at the Mill Pond Fishing Derby in the spring, a community event. The club is most known for snow shoveling for Wayland elders during the winter months, when each member is assigned  a residence to shovel for.

The volunteer coordinator of the Wayland Council on Aging stated, “The senior [citizens] are so appreciative of what the WHY club does. During this time of the year, they really rely on the students. Knowing that they would come to shovel the walkways gives the seniors a sense of security.”

Members also partake in activities such as collecting money for the Pennies for Patients fundraisers, where students are encouraged to donate spare change to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. In addition, the club raises awareness for the annual Relay for Life, a walk-a-thon fundraiser for cancer patients.

Students interested in joining the WHY Club should go to Mr. Frio’s room, H7, during the next club meetings.