Ready to unlock your potential? Whether tutoring or test prep, weโ€™ve got you covered. Check out ourย low-stress, high-impact approachย to academic supportโ€”just as individualized as you are.

ICYMI: Week of April 8 โ€“ WSPNโ€™s success at Kansas City, Student Corpsโ€™ book drive and Wayland Arts search for new storage space
ICYMI: Week of April 8 โ€“ WSPNโ€™s success at Kansas City, Student Corpsโ€™ book drive and Wayland Arts' search for new storage space

Wayland Dunkin' Donuts future in jeopardy

During the next six months, South Wayland’s Dunkin’ Donuts, Morns, Grape Ideas, and Wayland Wellness Center may undergo a major transformation into a brand new, 13,000 square foot CVS.

A CVS representative recently met with the planning board of Wayland and presented the following proposals: First, the store will be increased in size from 7,000 square feet to 13,013 square feet, making it larger than Mel’s, Starbucks, and Middlesex Plazas. Second, the CVS will be open form 8:00AM to 10:00PM, seven days a week.

Wayland Planning Board Chairman Bill Steinburg stated that CVS was dissatisfied with its North Wayland Plaza location and was interested in relocating to a stand alone lot– either the Caraways lot or in the new Town Center. However, rather than renewing their leases, the owner of the Dunkin’ Donuts plaza sold the land to CVS.

Once CVS closes the deal, they will have to meet the Wayland zoning restrictions. Local zoning would require the CVS store to reduce the number of parking spots from the current 119 spaces to 66. Furthermore, they will have to make sure that the new structure is sufficiently far away from residential homes in the area.

Many Wayland residents are not happy about this new proposal. One primary concern is the increase in traffic due to the two-fold growth of the current building.

A recent traffic study indicated that there would be an increase in traffic; however, this study was conducted in June during peak afternoon and evening hours on a weekday. The study did not examine the site for 24-hours a day, nor on weekends, nor during September through May.

Also, neighbors have expressed concerns about the size of the new building. They worry that the massive size would “not fit” in the small residential area. Others think that a new CVS is simply unnecessary because of the nearby Rite Aid.

The Wayland High School community is one of the most staunchly opposing factions. Freshman Becca Goldberg commented, “It changes how kids will get their coffee and donuts before school. It is so ridiculous how there will be a Rite Aid and a CVS within five feet of each other.”

For many, Dunkin’ Donuts is not just another coffee and doughnut shop; rather, it is an important social venue. Junior Rachel Yih said, “[Dunkin Donuts] has been a hot spot for high school students for years. Now where will we go?”

The removal of Dunkin’ Donuts also has a negative impact on teachers. Long-time patron Janet Karman commented that Dunkin’ Donuts has been, “A good inexpensive source of coffee in this town, and it would be sad to see it go.”

Currently, CVS has not voiced a response as to their compliance with the Wayland Planning board restrictions. For now, Wayland residents can still get their coffee, donuts, and bagels.

$210
$1500