Summer vacation coming later

This past Monday Wayland High School students, along with most other students in the state, learned that yet another school day was to be canceled due to bad weather. Students rejoiced all across town when the news came on Sunday night. After all, a snow day means a free day from school—a day to sleep in, relax, go sledding, or catch up on schoolwork. “I was happy to have an extra day to finish a project,” says Wayland High School junior Alie Perkus.

However, students tend to forget that a snow day also means an extra day of school in June. Because 180 school days are required for all public schools, Wayland still needs to make up the days “lost” to the snow.

School was originally supposed to finish on June 19th, but due to snow days it will now end on June 23rd, and teachers will end on June 24th. For some, who had already arranged their summers before any snow days were called, this may interfere with summer plans.

Wayland has gotten a reputation for staying open in rain or shine, snow or sleet. This year, however, snow storms have been particularly heavy and just at the wrong times. School has already been canceled twice this year, as opposed to recent years, when snow days were called once or not at all.

For many, a fun day in the winter is definitely worth it. Seniors, who graduate in May, are certainly excited. “There’s really no downside to snow days because we don’t have to make up any school,” says senior Larissa Franklin. This, unfortunately, does not apply to any of the underclassmen. On June 23rd, when summer’s here, students may not be so eager to sit in the classroom.