E-waste: digital's dirty by-product

In the midst of this rapidly developing digital age, we are quick to discard our “out of date” electronics. Often, these electronics contain potentially hazardous materials, making their disposal a costly and difficult expense. Many developing nations have developed new, cheap, and extremely profitable means to dispose of these “e-waste” materials. However, these techniques aren’t doing the environment any favors.

Each year, 25 million televisions and 93 million cell phones are discarded, many of them going to China and Ghana. In Ghana, for example, these discards end up in trash heaps in the center of villages. According to the CBS news show 60 Minutes, it is not uncommon for women and children in the villages to tear through old CRT monitors or silicon circuit boards in order to find reusable metals. In trying to extract valuable metals such as gold, silver, and copper, many of these people expose themselves to toxic materials. Old electronics often contain lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, beryllium, and barium, as well as a many carcinogens and dioxins. These materials can cause brain damage, birth defects, cancer, kidney and liver damage, and lung problems. In China, electronic salvaging villages showed the highest level of dioxins of anywhere in the world. These harmful chemicals were found in the soil, air, water, and even in the blood of local citizens.

Industrialized nations produce about 50 million tons of e-waste each year. Although much of it does go to landfills in the US, this is not a solution. Hazardous waste can leach into groundwater and contaminate soil, causing health problems within our own communities. While it is illegal, some recycling companies find it more cost efficient to ship this poison overseas. In the United States, only three companies have the equipment necessary to safely recycle large amounts of e-waste. These machines use vacuums, filters, and magnets to sort the metals and remove harmful dust from the air. According to Jon Yob, president of Creative Recycling Systems, it would only take a few more of these machines to take care of all of the e-waste in the United States. Unfortunately, the low cost of shipping e-waste overseas is too tempting.

This vicious cycle needs to be stopped. Too many people in too many countries are being harmed, killed, and displaced by our e-waste. The solution to this lies with recycling companies. More of them need to invest in proper recycling equipment to slow down and eventually stop the flow of e-waste to foreign countries.

Sources:
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/news/poisoning-the-poor-electroni
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/06/60minutes/main4579229.shtml
http://www.galtglobalreview.com/business/toxic_pcs.html