Students ride for Team Jean

panmass
On August 1st, at least twelve current or recent Wayland High School students will ride their bikes for 47 to 192 miles as part of the Pan Mass Challenge (PMC). The PMC is a bike ride that raises over 30 million dollars each year to support the Jimmy Fund of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

These riders, as well as 30 adults, make up Team Jean, a riding team founded by Anita Bekenstein, Pam Washek and Jean Seiden when Jean was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002. Jean battled her cancer for four years, riding in the PMC many of those years. Unfortunately, Jean lost her battle in December of 2006, but is still remembered and admired across the town of Wayland for her support of the arts, positive spirit and outgoing nature. To help Team Jean achieve its fundraising goal this year, a very generous anonymous donor has offered to match every dollar that is raised in Jean’s name.

The Pan Mass Challenge has been a thriving fundraiser for 30 years and has raised a total of 239 million dollars, making it the largest single athletic fundraiser in the United States. The ride goes across Massachusetts from either Sturbridge or Wellesley to Provincetown with routes spanning either one or two days.

The course is often lined with fans, cancer patients and their families thanking the riders for their determination and effort to support cancer research. Riding this year from Wayland High School are: Andy Bekenstein, Emily Bekenstein, Sam Bekenstein, Daniel Bekenstein, Or Efrat, Kelsey Jurist, Brenna LaPierre, Alex Leichter, Claire Leichter, Conor O’Neill, Stephanie Seiden, and Olivia Shaw.

Anyone interested in joining these riders, as well as almost 5,000 others, can still take part in this challenging, but rewarding ride. Contact Peter Shaw at [email protected] to sign up for Team Jean. Those who can’t ride this year can sign up as a volunteer at a rest stop. Either way, participants, gain community service credits and support a great cause.

Follow this link to check out the routes and learn about the ride.