WSPN announces leadership for 2011-2012 academic year

THE 2011-2012 WSPN EXECUTIVE BOARD - Matthew Gutschenritter (left) and Evan Barber (right) will be taking over as Co-Editors-in Chief at waylandstudentpress.com next school year. (Credit: WSPN Staff)

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2011 – The Wayland Student Press Network is pleased to announce that Evan Barber (’12) and Matthew Gutschenritter (’12) will take over the positions of Co-Editors-in-Chief for WSPN – Wayland High School’s official student news website – for the upcoming 2011-2012 school year.

The current Editors-in-Chief – David Ryan (‘11) and Melanie Wang (‘11) – will be transferring the publication over to Gutschenritter and Barber in May, a few weeks before graduation, at a small public ceremony in the newsroom.

The current Executive Board and publication advisers voted unanimously for the new editorial team. Mary Barber, one of WSPN’s advisers, excused herself from the discussion, due to familial relations with one of the candidates. Gutschenritter was also excused from the discussion as one of the candidates. After the success of two editors leading the publication in tandem, the board decided to appoint another duo to lead the newsroom.

Barber and Gutschenritter have both been preeminent forces on the publication for the past few years.

Evan Barber (WSPN FILE PHOTO)

Evan Barber has been reporting for the site for three years; during the last two he has also served as a student editor in the general news and sports departments. Barber is also one of WSPN’s leading broadcast producers and reporters. Barber has also anchored shows on WayCAM – Wayland’s local cable access channel, notably Sports Update.

Matthew Gutschenritter (WSPN FILE PHOTO)

Matthew Gutschenritter has been instrumental in behind-the-scenes production of WSPN for two years, serving as the publication’s Business Manager and most recently taking on the duties as the publication’s Administrative Editor. Matthew works tirelessly to keep the entire publication on-track, organizing deadlines, creating media kits, selling advertising, and filling in wherever he’s needed.

Students interested in joining WSPN’s staff next year as an editor, reporter, blogger, graphic designer, or in any other capacity should contact Matthew Gutschenritter and Evan Barber at:

[email protected]

A message from the current Editors-in-Chief:

Wayland High School,

It’s been a thrill working with the staff of WSPN for the past two years. We’ve spent a long time building a publication we hope the school can be proud of. It’s been a true privilege and honor serving the WHS community and bringing you the news every day.

We have absolute confidence in Matt and Evan. We’ll be working closely with them over the next few months to make sure they’re ready to build WSPN to the next level, and we hope they’ll learn from our mistakes. We’re going to be encouraging them to take WSPN in new directions, while keeping the core mission of producing a fantastic student-run news site intact.

Thank you for the support of the WHS community, thank you to the businesses that help keep WSPN running through advertisements, thank you to Wayland High School and Wayland Public Schools for their continued support, and thank you to you, WSPN’s viewers, for allowing us to bring you the news.

We hope to finish this year out strong!

Melanie Wang and David Ryan
Co-Editors-in-Chief
Wayland Student Press Network

$210
$1500