The Ally Way: How to stay in touch

width="470"
In this post, blogger Ally Toto gives readers advice on how to stay in touch with long-distance friends, a skill that may be important for seniors in the near future.
It’s hard when a relationship changes. Whether it’s with a family member, friend or boyfriend/girlfriend, when distance gets in the way it is often hard to keep in touch. With these easy tips you’ll be able to balance the maintenance of your current relationships, as well as your far away ones.

1. Send a picture of you two together
No matter how long it has been since you last got together, a picture of the two of you is sure to make your friend smile. Whether it be a text, facebook message, email, or even a letter, it is sure to start a good conversation.

2. Reflect on your time together
Text an inside joke or a funny memory just because! You can then have a conversation about this memory and many more. Reflecting on fond memories is a great escape from present issues and stresses, and it will make you happier.

3. Call or video chat
It’s the next best thing to in person contact! This way, you can really catch up instantaneously, even though you are not with each other.

4. Write a letter
Yes, people still do it. Letters are a great way to share feelings about how much you miss someone and summarize what is going on in your life. Make it personal by decorating it if you’re feeling creative!

5. Send a care package
Along with your letter, you could also send a care package of your long-distance friend’s favorite things. Things to include could be joke-gifts, candy, clothes, books, practical items and anything else he/she likes.

6. Take the lead
If your friend hasn’t talked to you in a long time, don’t be afraid to make the first move. People always enjoy reconnecting and love to know that they mean enough to you for you to reach out.

7. Put in the effort
Reconnecting doesn’t just happen by itself. Make reconnecting a part of your everyday life by setting goals to connect with different people daily, weekly or monthly.

8. Celebrate birthdays
Remembering and celebrating someone’s birthday will mean the world to that person. Even if it’s as simple as a personal text, phone call or letter, it will show that you care. Going the extra mile to get a small gift for a far away friend will be a memory they cherish.

9. Don’t worry
If your friend is unresponsive, they may just be busy. Give it some time and they are more than likely to respond to you.

10. Schedule a date
Most importantly, mark your calendar to see them at some point. No matter where they are, especially if more than a year has gone by, it is important to have a solid in-person connection. If you are really far from each other, meet halfway. No other means of communication can do justice for real-life encounters.