Getting tough with the Iranian regime

This Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu met with President Barack Obama to discuss the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, the US-Israeli relations, and the Iranian nuclear issue. All three of these issues are vital American interests, but the third – a nuclear Iran – is the most important issue facing our country.

It is absolutely imperative that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon. The consequences could be absolutely disastrous.

Iran’s support for the international terrorist group, Hezbollah, combined with even a gram of highly enriched uranium would have destructive results. Even if Iran did not use its weapon, the mere development of a weapon would be a calamity because of Israel’s 200 plus nuclear weapons that are pointed at Tehran. The deterring factor that Iran would then possess would drastically alter the balance of power in the Middle East.

If Iran had nukes, Arab states would be compelled to develop their own nuclear weapons programs as well. Can you imagine a region as unstable as the Middle East, with all of its important resources (i.e. oil), completely armed with nuclear weapons?

Any of the United States’ negotiations with Iran would inherently be at a position of weakness. The US would instantly have to reevaluate its positions when talking to Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine.

I could go on. The point is this: it is absolutely crucial that the President of Tehran prevents Iran from getting uranium. This year is going to be critical. Israeli estimates predict that Iran could have enough uranium for a bomb by the end of 2010, and Iranian presidential elections will be held later this year.

President Obama must accelerate his attempts to begin negotiations with Tehran over the program. With the presidential election approaching and low oil prices crippling Iran’s economy, it would be a good time. Obama must not give President Ahmadinejad a chance for confrontation; he must also convince the Islamic Republic that the people cannot afford to see negotiations fail. If negotiations do fail – which is quite possible – we must still have a plan to destroy the nuclear program.

The Iran Refined Petroleum Sanctions Act of 2009 was introduced into Congress at the end of April. The Act places harsh sanctions that would prevent Iran from receiving refined gasoline (what is pumped into your car). Although Iran is the fourth largest oil producer in the world, it lacks much of the technology that is required to purify oil into usable gasoline.

This Act would definitely serve American interests and help dissuade Iran from enriching uranium. If negotiations fail, it absolutely will need to be passed. Even today, however, Congress should consider passing the bill.

It may be hard to confront the Mullahs, but is extremely necessary. If we do not prevent Iran from getting the bomb, American interests everywhere will be affected.