Girls track begins season with individual successes

Girls track has had a strong season so far, with seniors with a number of individual victories, qualifying for the state-wide meet. (Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

With their first three meets against Notre Dame, Arlington, and Weston behind them, the Wayland girls track team has come a long way since the beginning of the season. Though they started the season off with a 59-36 loss to the Notre Dame squad, there were numerous individual achievements.

The Notre Dame meet had an auspicious start with success in the short distance events as seniors Jenn Adler taking 2nd in the varsity 55 dash (8.03) and Kathryn Washek placing 2nd as well in the 300 m (45.3). Another short distance runner, senior Izzy Stern, took 1st both in the 55 m hurdles and the high jump (9.66 and 4’8”, respectively), qualifying for the state meet in the former event.

The long distance runners also had their fair share of personal successes with three different 3rd place finishes, by junior Lauren Puleo in the 600m (1:58), senior Molly Murphy in the 1000 (3:32), and sophomore Kelsey Burke in the mile (6:30). Additionally, junior Chloe Jacques (13:57), sophomore Emma Barton (14:32), and junior Kristen Tobin (14:48) swept the Notre Dame runners in the 2 mile race. In the shot put event, junior Kim Maccini took 1st, out-throwing the competition at 24’11”.

[adrotate group="2"]

Shortly after their first meet, the Wayland girls competed again on December 29, at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston, against Arlington. Wayland won by default because the Arlington team failed to show, but raced anyways. Despite low team attendance, due to the winter break, the Warriors nevertheless made a very notable effort. Among the highlights were the performances of Adler (8.11), Stern (9.43), and Washek (45.29) in the 55 m, hurdles, and 300m events, respectively.

In the JV 55 m hurdles, freshman Gabriella Purman (11.95) made an impressive debut with a 5th place finish. Finally, Murphy (3:25.00) and junior Mary Lou Ponsetto (3:25.37) tore up the track in the 1000 m, finishing 8th and 9th, respectively.

On January 7, Wayland raced at Boston University, losing 37-58 in their match against Weston. However, this loss was belied by the many individual achievers of the team. Among these were consistent high performers Adler (11th; 8.00) in the 55 meter dash and Stern (1st; 9.57) in the 55 meter hurdles.

In the high jump, Murphy (4-04) and sophomore Anna Sailor (4-06) took 9th and 11th, respectively. Ending the meet on the good note, the girl’s 4 x 400 m team composed of freshman Kayla Butts, sophomore Carly Foreman, and juniors Ponsetto and Puleo placed 1st in their heat and 6th overall in a close race, finishing less than a second before the Arlington team at 4:29.18.

With these three successful meets under their belt, the team will go on to compete in the State Relays this Sunday.