Boys hockey defeats DS, falls to Dracut

Senior Mark Haffey and the boys hockey team went 1-1 over the long weekend. (Courtesy of the Barber Family)

Wayland 1, referees 3.  That was the final score of the varsity boys’ hockey game on Saturday night. They were scheduled to play Dracut; however, a different opponent showed up: the referees.

Now, usually one doesn’t say the officiating cost a team a game, but in this case there was no denying it.  They called numerous penalties on the Warriors and even ejected a player, all of which was completely unnecessary. Junior and captain Evan Barber put one past the goaltender early on. Still, the referees were too powerful to be stopped, and Dracut got three garbage goals.

Junior Evan Barber looks on in disgust after being put in the penalty box for the third time. (Courtesy of the Barber Family)

On Monday, the Warriors walloped Dover-Sherborn. All the scorers came out as they smacked DS, 7 to 2.  Senior and captain Zach Bastarache, junior Shane Brady, senior EJ Nicholas, and Barber each netted a goal, But it was senior Eddie McCarthy who stole the show, dangling his way up the ice and sniping 3 goals past the goalie to get a hat trick.

The Warriors celebrate after one of senior Eddie McCarthy's three goals. (Courtesy of the Barber Family)

Barber also added 5 assists and finished with a 6-point night.

After the game, McCarthy said, “Tonight, we finally played as a team and weren’t selfish, and it showed up on the scoreboard.”

Senior and captain Cogan Register faced some tough shots and made many spectacular saves. Bastarache was the enforcer, laying the wood all night long with huge hits.

The Warriors’ next game is this Saturday against Weston, at the Rivers school at 5pm.

$210
$1500