Wayland celebrates Earth Day with town cleanup

(Credit: Visible Earth/NASA)

On Saturday, April 9th, the Wayland Department of Public Works and the Green Team are hosting an Earth Day celebration. Wayland residents are invited to the DPW offices at Wayland Middle School for a day full of activities and education on becoming green.

The DPW is using this day to release their new rail barrels and compost bins, and a town wide clean-up will take place. The goal of the clean-up are to clear roads, parks and waterways around town. Attendees will be put into cleaning teams and then meet back at the Middle School for collection.

Pat Conaway, a former Wayland Middle School teacher and founder of the Big Heart Little Feet foundation, has been working with Christina Veal, Chairman of the Green Team, in planning the Earth Day event.

“The event is important to me and other people who love Wayland because it’s an opportunity to come together and learn from each other about important environmental issues that are affecting our community and the world at large,” sad Conaway. “It’s encouraging to meet and observe so many people who are concerned about the earth.”

The event is free and a rain date is planned for Sunday, April 10th.

“The goals are pretty simple: spread the word, come together, celebrate and connect with other people in and beyond the community who are doing great things for the earth,” explained Conaway.