A royal wedding: should we care?

With Prince William and Catherine Middleton set to marry at Westminster Abbey on Friday, Wayland residents wonder whether or not the wedding bears any significance outside of Great Britain. (Credit: Tony Moorey/CC)

Early Friday morning people all around the globe may tune-in to the marriage of Prince William of Wales and Catherine Middleton at Westminster Abbey in London.

While many are expected to watch and attend the ceremony, including many political figures, one has to wonder whether this marriage bears any true significance. Is this a wedding of noble, influential Englishmen or is it simply an over-hyped pairing of two celebrities whose power is mostly  limited to humanitarian work?

Since King George I in 1727, the British monarchy and the royal family has taken a greatly diminished role in the nation’s government. Prince William, second in line to the throne (after his father, Prince Charles) now contributes a minimal amount to Britain’s foreign and domestic affairs. England’s decisions are left to the Parliament and the people. While the Prince or Queen Elizabeth II may provide commentary or attempt to influence the public, just as a politician might in any democracy, their constitutionally given rights prevent them from enacting laws or declaring war.

The Queen, her predecessors and her successors represent symbolic figures in British culture that are used to unify the nation in times of peril – as seen in The King’s Speech – or triumph, they do not govern the Commonwealth.

Furthermore, since the marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana, the royal family is seen perhaps more as celebrity than nobility. The British Monarchy has now become a widely popularized organization with no more influence on its nation than figures like Donald Trump or Jesse Jackson have on the United States. Social networkers can follow royals on Twitter and like their Facebook page, allowing the world to follow their every move and thought like any other figure in the public limelight. And much like Hollywood’s stars, Prince William busies himself with humanitarian efforts like reaching out to victims of a deadly earthquake and founding charities.

Ultimately, one must consider whether it is essential to watch the royal marriage Friday morning.  Although Englishmen and people around the world have eagerly awaited it ever since the engagement was announced, the wedding does not actually affect the world. If Prince William assumes the throne after his grandmother and father, then there will be a new King and Queen of Great Britain that cannot pass legislation or influence the courts. The King and Queen may be members of an age-old British tradition and culture, but their titles are superficial.

To those Wayland residents wondering if they should watch the wedding or even care, the answer is simple: you don’t have to care.

Do you care? Did you watch the wedding?

Let us know in the comments below!

$210
$1500