Phoebe Morss runs over the competition

(Credit: Elizabeth Karpacz/WSPN)

Sophomore Phoebe Morss is the fastest runner on the girls cross country team.

“I am impressed with how hard Phoebe works. She takes cross country really seriously and you can definitely see it in her results,” said coach Mary MacDonald.

This year, Morss set a school record when she completed Wayland’s new 5k course in just 20:15. As the season progressed, Morss’s 5k times dropped. She broke the 20 minute barrier with times of 19:40 and 19:50.

At the MSTCA Coaches Invitational Meet, Morss placed 2nd in the 10th grade race. For the second year in a row, Morss was a cross country Dual County League All-Star.

Morss was the only runner from Wayland who qualified for the All-State Meet. This was her second year competing. The All-State Meet took place on November 19 at Franklin Park, in Boston. This was the end to her season.

“I was happy that I made it to All-States but I had hoped to perform better,” said Morss. “Coach (Suzanne) Williams really helped me a lot this season. She is always very positive and encouraging and she is full of great advice.”

Morss’s running career started in elementary school when she competed in a few races for her school in London. In middle school, Morss joined the Nitehawks, a track club based in Wayland.

In eighth grade, Morss competed in the AAU Junior Olympics National Cross Country Championships in Orlando, Florida. She won her race and became an AAU National Champion.

Morss plans on continuing her cross country career, as well as doing ski team and spring track.

“All I want to do is run. I love cross country. It’s really fun being at all of the big meets with our team. We have such nice people on our team. It’s also nice to talk to all of the competitors and meet new people.”

$210
$1500