Construction on Town Center begins

Ground has been broken at the new Town Center location. (Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

The process for building the Wayland Town Center has been one filled with much controversy and planning, but is now on a steady path towards completion.

Demolition began at the intersection between Routes 20 and 27 in August and the first stores are expected to open in November, 2012.

“The developer is building the retail portion in two phases, with the housing to follow. However, the residential real estate market is improving as evidenced by Wayland Commons, so the housing piece could be built sooner,” said Wayland’s Town Administrator, Fred Turkington.

On top of lessening the tax burden on residents with increased taxes on the development, the center will span 155,000 square feet of retail stores. Among the stores being built includes a Stop & Shop, having signed a 20-year lease. Apartments will be built above the stores, and there is expected to be space for 100 condos and additional office space.

“The town will receive a spot adjacent to the town green to build up to 40,000 square feet – likely a library or community center,” said Turkington.

Even though other communities have true downtowns, such as Wellesley and Concord, the Wayland Town Center will offer a community gathering space. According to Turkington, the town green can be a site for small concerts, a quiet place for reflection or even the site of an ice rink come winter.

“We hope the Town Center appeals to all generations of Wayland residents,” Turkington said. “There will be something for everyone and it will be a great opportunity to interact with one another.”

$210
$1500