David Dines: Getting into a character can really change who you are as a person

Sophomore David Dines has performed in numerous shows and musicals, and he hopes to pursue a career in theater. Currently, he is getting ready to perform in Fame, Wayland High School's spring production.

When sophomore David Dines was just three years old, he danced around his house, singing songs he heard on the car radio. Ever since he was a child, Dines has loved the spotlight.

Dines began seriously performing in shows when he was about 10 years old. Since then, Dines has performed in Alison Grimm at the Edge of the World and Les Miserables at WHS and Guys and Dolls, High School Musical, Annie and Oklahoma! at the Performing Arts Center of Metrowest in Framingham.

Dines’s favorite show so far at WHS is Les Miserables. He loves the music and the plot, and he finds he can relate to the characters. Dines is enthusiastic about the set and costumes of the show as well. He also enjoyed being in a show the audience was already familiar with .

“It’s always interesting to put your own spin on such a well-known show,” Dines said.

Over the years, Dines has honed his performing skills by taking acting and voice lessons. So far, he has had two different vocal coaches.

“My first coach helped me because I was really young, and I had a very immature sounding voice, so she helped me open up my range more,” said Dines. “My second vocal coach, Ruth Hart, who I’m with right now, is classically training me. She’s made me the singer I am today. My voice has changed completely since I’ve started going to her. I owe her pretty much everything.”

Dines also has gained experience by attending summer theater camps. One camp, the Performing Arts Center of Metrowest, ran for three weeks during which the cast rehearsed and performed a musical. At another, the Regal Music Theater Summer Workshop in Waltham, the cast put together a musical review, a show consisting of musical numbers and dances with no real plot line.

Currently, Dines is rehearsing for his upcoming performance in WHS’s Fame, in which he is playing a dancer. For this role, Dines has had the opportunity to learn ballet.

“I loved it because I’ve never really done ballet before, so learning how to point your feet and do all these different positions has been really interesting,” Dines said.

Dines is also now rehearsing for Legally Blonde: The Musical at Alexander’s Children’s Theater School (ACTS) in Concord. Dines finds it interesting yet challenging to be in two different shows at the same time, especially because he must work with different directors in each show.

Legally Blonde: The Musical is a really different style because we have a totally different director,” Dines said. “I identify more with Richard Weingartner’s directing style, so I’m constantly thinking of Weingartner’s direction when I’m in that show.”

Dines is also a member of the WHS a cappella group the T-Tones and enjoys the musical and social benefits of being a member.

Dines performs Lady Gaga's "Edge of Glory" with the T-tones.

“A cappella has opened me to a whole different kind of music. The intensity of the way we have to sing is really cool; we try to blend well and make it sound like the original song,” said Dines. “The a cappella groups, the T-Tones, Madrigals and Muses, we’re really a giant family.”

One thing that Dines particularly enjoys about performing in shows is getting a reaction from the audience.

“I really love hearing applause, it’s just very gratifying,” Dines said.

Another aspect Dines loves about performing is getting into character. He loves having his eyes opened to the way his character sees the world differently from himself.

“You get to experience with every new character a whole new viewpoint on life, and I think that getting into a character can really change who you are as a person,” said Dines.

Dines is also a huge fan of theater. His top five shows include Cabaret, Sweeney Todd, Chicago, Les Miserables and Wicked, in that order.

Dines’s plans for the future include performing for as long as possible and pursuing a career in theater.

“I want to move to New York City and perform on Broadway,” Dines said. “I couldn’t see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life. ”