A successful movie night

With well-made movies and the right distribution of awards, the second annual Script to Screen movie festival was a hit.
The second annual Wayland High School film festival took place last Wednesday night on the main stage. The festival featured three films: Molineux, preFAMOUS and Behind Closed Doors. During the awards ceremony after the film premieres, awards such as “Best Actor” or “Best Cinematography” were given to the students who acted in or helped produce the films. The audience members were also allowed to vote for the “People’s Choice Award,” which was awarded to Behind Closed Doors.

Overall, I enjoyed the film festival and all the films. The films were very different from each other, keeping the festival interesting. It was also nice to see the actors and directors get their awards and to hear everyone’s short, funny speeches when receiving their awards.

Molineux
Molineux was the first film played at the film festival on Wednesday night. Directed by junior Jacob Sussman, Molineux is an adaptation of the 1831 short story “My Kinsman, Major Molineux” by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The film was in black and white, and the actors used very formal language. These aspects made the film feel much older.

Molineux won the award for best soundtrack, which was an appropriate choice. The film had an effective use of non-diegetic sound to convey the mood of the scenes. My favorite scene included Chris, played by Jonathan von Mering, looking over the Commons. This was one of the funnier scenes, and I think the scene’s success was a result of good camera angle and framing which created a sense of disequilibrium. Sussman won the award for best cinematography for his work on Molineux, and he deserves the recognition. This film was enjoyable because of its compelling and mysterious nature.

preFAMOUS
PreFAMOUS was directed by juniors Kevin Skowronski and Kazi Ahmed, who both won the award for best editors. Skowronski and Ahmed took advantage of the technology in the new school by using a green screen to create an alternative reality in preFAMOUS. Greg Seage, who won the award for best actor, played the role of Cole MacGrath. One of my favorite scenes included Cole MacGrath sliding down the roof of the field house. This scene looked very cool because of the angle it was filmed at. In preFamous, there seemed to be more of a focus on special effects rather than plot, but I think the mix of good acting a special effects made this film a success.

Behind Closed Doors
This film was directed by Dominique Simpson and Alex Dulude, who won the award for best directors. Jason Goodman won the award for best screenplay for his work on this film as well. If I had to use one word to describe this film, it would be intriguing. This film was very enjoyable because it was interesting and suspenseful. When watching this film, I didn’t know which character to believe, and I kept wanting to find out more. This film reminded me of a horror movie because of the suspense and sense of danger. While watching this movie, I could tell something was not right. Carly McKee won the award for best actress for her role as Danielle Erickson. I think this award was well deserved because her acting was very believable. I think the acting and the intriguing plot lead to an enjoyable film, and this was definitely my favorite film.

I would definitely recommend attending the Script to Screen film festival next year, and I would also recommend watching the three movies produced by the Script to Screen class and drama department. If you are interested in watching these films, they will be available on WayCAM in June.