Warrior Weekly: Second half
Good week for WHS sports as every team except for football got a win. However, football only played one game this week.
Boys soccer got a 3-0 win under the lights Saturday night against the O’Bryant school. Field hockey scored six goals in their win against Bedford. Girls soccer also beat Bedford. Girls volleyball was the only team to get two wins this week, winning 3-1 and 3-0.
As for losses, field hockey lost 3-0 to LS and 2-0 to CC. Girls soccer lost 2-0 to AB and Girls volleyball lost 3-2 to Bedford. Football lost a heartbreaker on Friday night to AB 18-17.
At the midway point in the fall season, there are some good things and some bad things that have happened.
Boys soccer did not have the best start to this season, but they are currently in the middle of a four game undefeated streak and a three game shutout streak (two wins and two ties.)
Girls soccer, who only had four wins last year, already has five wins. The same applies to volleyball and football. Through their first eight games last year, girls volleyball had two wins and this year they have three. Football also went from two wins in their first five games last year to three this year. Any improvement is a good improvement.
Field hockey is not having the season they hoped for. They lost some important seniors from last year. However, they still have a decent record at 4-4-1.
Good luck to all the fall teams in their second halves!
Now my professional sports predictions:
1. The MLB playoffs started this weekend — tough loss for the Atlanta Braves and Chipper Jones on a bad call. Nevertheless, I predict that the Washington Nationals will beat the New York Yankees in the World Series.
2. The Celtics season kicks off in less than a month, and I believe that come June we will see a rematch made in heaven. Celtics vs. Lakers in the finals. However, Dwight Howard is too much for the tired Kevin Garnett, and the Lakers will win the championship. Kobe Bryant will decide to retire after the game because of the friction he had on the court with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash.
3. After a blowout loss at home against the Texans, the Jets decide that Tim Tebow is the man for them at quarterback and make him the starter. After 11 terrible weeks from Tebow, Rex Ryan is fired as the Jets coach. After the season he will become the coach for the Dallas Cowboys, where his brother Rob is the defensive coordinator. Jason Garrett, the coach of the Cowboys, will be fired after they fail to make the playoffs again.
4. The Boston Red Sox, with their offseason acquisitions of Justin Upton and Elvis Andrus, will win the 2013 World Series. Brad Ausmus is named manager the year after leading them to the best record in the American League. John Lackey also will have an ERA under 4.00.
5. Surprise Super Bowl winner this year: Chicago Bears.
“When it’s over, that big gust of wind you feel will be me exhaling.”