Zen & M’s: Cut calories on your coffee run

As the weather cools and more Wayland High School students go on coffee runs for pick-me-ups, Caitlin has some tips on how to cut calories but still indulge in flavored beverages.

Is it really that time of the year again? That most wonderful time of the year when we roast chestnuts, exchange gifts and spread holiday cheer?

NO, IT’S NOT.

In case you’re confused, my first two paragraphs are directed towards Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts and consumer America. Both coffee franchises are already sporting holiday flavors such as ginger and peppermint. And, Starbucks broke out the holiday-themed cups before anyone had the chance to say, “Trick or treat.”

But, you’re probably asking yourself right now, what does this have to do with health? Well, with yummy flavors come yummy sweeteners and extra calories. I’m not trying to burst anyone’s bubble though. I want to give everyone a few tips they can implement during their coffee runs to eliminate excess calories and still enjoy their favorite flavored beverages.

Tip #1:

Skim milk is your friend. Throw out those preconceived notions that skim milk and nonfat milk taste different from regular milk or even bad. I was steaming last year when I found out my mother ordered my coffee with skim milk rather than cream, but I quickly calmed down after I realized it tasted just as good with a fraction of the calories to boot.

Tip #2:

Forgo the whipped cream. I know it looks pretty, but does that make it worth the extra seventy calories? Didn’t think so.

Tip #3:

Order the light or skinny versions of drinks. The difference between a grande Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks with whole milk and whipped cream versus a grande Peppermint Mocha with nonfat milk and no whipped cream is 150 calories. That’s a whole snack you’ve saved yourself. The difference between a grande Peppermint Mocha with all the fixings versus the skinny version is 310 calories. That’s a meal.

Tip #4:

Educate yourself. Nutrition information is posted on the company websites of all the coffee brands. If you’re not sure about a drink or what variation of it you want to order, you can check out online what you’re putting into your body.

Tip #5:

Think of the yummy flavored drinks as splurges. Even the skinny, healthy version of certain drinks are around 100 calories, the size of a snack. Save them for Friday or a weekend, order the small or hit the gym a little bit harder the day you indulge. That way, you get your holiday pick-me-up and maintain your rock star body.

Stay warm!

$210
$1500