WW ’13: Parents perform as the Wayland Daddios

Above, the Wayland Daddios perform at last year's Winter Week. Comprised of several Wayland parents, the Wayland Daddios plays music of all different genres. “I think it’s kind of cool that music transcends generations,” guitarist and vocalist Peter Lavenson said.

What do you get when you combine six Wayland High School parents, a bass, two electric guitars and a drumset? The Daddios, a Wayland, parent-based band that plays hits from the 60’s to present day.

This January 29, the band performed a variety of songs from artists such as The Beatles, Neon Trees and The Four Tops as part of the 2013 Winter Week.

For more than 12 years, the Wayland Daddios has been a functioning band, starting from when the band members’ respective children were in preschool. The majority of the band’s children are now seniors at WHS.

“Our kids go back and forth between being totally embarrassed by it to it being kind of cool,” backup vocalist Roberta Powell said, commenting on her son’s reaction to the band’s existence.

The Daddios’s most common venues are birthday parties and charity functions.

Even though some members of the band have written their own songs, the group mainly performs more popular songs, which the band members say is easier for crowds to dance along to.

“We go from reggae to rock to blues, everything that hits you in the heart,” lead vocalist and guitarist Peter Lavenson said.

“It’s kind of like the history of rock and roll,” Powell added.

Lavenson also pointed out that music has influenced himself along with people of all different ages.

“I think it’s kind of cool that music transcends generations,” Lavenson said.

Miss an event from Winter Week 2013? WSPN’s got it covered.

$210
$1500