Calvin Laituri: My dad wanted to show me what it’s like to run a business

width="470"
Above is sophomore Calvin Laituri with his second Kickstarter project, Tuls. Calvin and his father David have successfully funded two Kickstarter projects over the past two months and are currently working on a third. “I have learned more than I would have if I were ever to take a class,” Calvin said.
3281%. Sophomore Calvin Laituri and his father David received more than thirty times the amount of money they needed to fund their first project on Kickstarter. Only four months later, the duo has had another project funded, and a third is in the works.

“My dad wanted to show me what it’s like to run a business and how it works,” Calvin said. “That’s why he’s brought me along to do these Kickstarter projects with him.”

Calvin and David used the website Kickstarter to successfully launch two products. The goal of Kickstarter is to help turn people’s innovative ideas into realities. Whether it’s music, film, technology or product design, Kickstarter allows people to pitch their ideas to an international audience that can help fund their project in return for anything from the final product to a mention in the credits of a film.

According to Calvin, one of the hardest parts of the process is coming up with an idea.

“It’s not like you can immediately put something up because with so many people looking at it, [the idea] has to be right,” Calvin said.

According to Calvin, once the idea has been refined, he and his father will take the idea to a nearby steel mill, where together with the mill, they will create and refine the prototypes before production.

The first project Calvin and David worked on was Pucs, a reusable stainless steel ice cube that can chill your drink without watering it down.

According to Calvin, the idea came from hearing about someone who used ball bearings to cool his drinks.

Tuls, a credit card sized piece of stainless steel that functions as a wrench, ruler, drill guide, hex drive, protractor, pry bar and bottle opener, was the second project the duo successfully funded.

“Tuls came from the idea of always having a tool at hand,” Calvin said.

For Calvin and David, Kickstarter is only the first step of their business. After the project is successfully funded, the product gets put on their website, onehundred.co, where anyone can purchase their products.

Reflecting on the work he’s done so far, Calvin has seen it as a learning experience.

“It has been really educational. I’ve learned more than I would have if I were ever to take a class. It’s first-hand experience that I think is very useful,” Calvin said.