Tech Corner 2: What phone should I buy?

width="470"
This week, David compares the top smartphones.
[/caption]
Hello again readers! I hope that the couple months of school went well for you. If you’re eagerly awaiting for your phone contract to end then you have come to the right place! Today I’ll be comparing the top smartphones in today’s market. The top contenders in the smartphone turf war are the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. I will separate each section based on performance, aesthetics, display, camera, battery life and special features.

1. Performance:
iPhone 5s: The system chip for the 5s includes Apple A7 with a 64-bit architecture chip along with 1000 mb ram, a dual core 1300 MHz processor and 16-64 GB of storage. These upgrades have made the 5s significantly faster than its predecessor, the iPhone 5.
iPhone 5c: Although it’s different color-wise, the iPhone 5c has identical performance to the iPhone 5. This includes an Apple A6 chip, 1016 mb ram, a dual core 1300 MHz processor and 16-64 GB of storage.
HTC One: For a smartphone, performance-wise this phone packs quite the punch. The HTC One has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 chip, 2048 MB RAM, a quad core 1700 MHz processor and 32 GB of storage. This phone is so fast that it can rival today’s laptops. Most computers don’t even have quad core processors to begin with.
Samsung Galaxy S4: Also like the HTC, this phone is the quintessence of performance. It’s like the Ferrari of smartphones. The Galaxy S4 includes a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 chip, 2048 MB RAM, a Quad core 1900 MHz processor and 16 GB of storage that is upgradable via micro SD card.

Winner: Galaxy S4 — Although it’s neck and neck with the HTC One, the Galaxy has a blazing fast quad core processor that blows any phone out of the water.

2. Aesthetics:
iPhone 5s: Color options are black, white and champagne gold covered in a sleek aluminum finish. Its dimensions are 4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 inches, and its weight is 3.95 ounces.
iPhone 5c: Color options are yellow, green, blue, red and white. It has a simple colorful polycarbonate (plastic) back. Its dimensions are 4.90 x 2.33 x 0.35 inches, and its weight is 4.33 ounces.
HTC One: Color options are white, red, and black. It has a sturdy all aluminum back, so you don’t have to worry about dropping this phone. Its dimensions are 5.41 x 2.69 x 0.37 inches. Its weight is 5.04 ounces.
Samsung Galaxy S4: Color options are black, white, brown, red, purple and even more. It has a polycarbonate backing with a cool bezel pattern. Its dimensions are 5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 inches, and its weight is 4.59 ounces

Winner: iPhone 5s — The 5s combines cool aluminum with a nice touch of glass, making it sturdy while classy. It is the most appealing visually in today’s phone market which is an important aspect to many phone buyers.

3. Display
iPhone 5s: Like the iPhone 5 and 5c, Apple has stuck with its rich and colorful 4 inch IPS retina display that is 640 x 1136. That’s 326 pixels per square inch.
iPhone 5c: The 5c display is identical to the display of the 5 and 5s, a 4 inch IPS display, 640 x 1136.
HTC One: The One has a 4.7 inch LCD-3 display with a 1080 x 1920 display. That’s an outstanding 468 pixels per square inch, giving it the title for the best PPI (pixel per square inch) in any phone.
Samsung Galaxy S4: The galaxy has the biggest screen of them all with a 5-inch AMOLED 1080 x 1920 display. That’s 441 pixels per square inch. The AMOLED screen is made from organic compounds and uses the least energy possible that makes the best colors in a display.

Winner: HTC One — The HTC boasts the best screen display quality that is crystal clear, although any screen resolution is satisfying.

4. Camera
iPhone 5s: The 5s has a 1.2 megapixel camera in the front and an 8 megapixel camera in the back. Its camera features include digital image stabilization and picture-taking during video recording.
iPhone 5c: The 5c also has a 1.2 megapixel front-facing camera and an 8 megapixel back camera. Its camera features include digital image stabilization, picture-taking during video recording and video light.
HTC One: The HTC One has a 2.1 megapixels front, a 4 megapixel back, optical image stabilization, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR) and video calling.
Samsung Galaxy S4: The Galaxy S4 boasts a 2 megapixel front facing camera and a 13 megapixel back. It has an abundance of features including back-illuminated sensor (BSI), auto focus, touch to focus, digital image stabilization, face detection, smile detection, exposure compensation, white balance presets, digital zoom, geo tagging, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR), panorama, scenes, effects, self-timer and voice activation.

Winner: Samsung Galaxy S4 — The S4 has an outstanding camera for a mobile phone. Its new and innovative camera features revolutionized the camera and set the standard for smartphones.

5. Battery Life
iPhone 5s: The 5s has a decently sized 1570 mAh battery which means up to 10 hours talk time, 250 hours on standby and 40 hours of audio playback.
iPhone 5c: The 5c also has a 1507 mAh battery identical to the 5s (up to 10 hours talk time, 250 hours on standby and 40 hours for audio playback).
HTC One: The one has a big 2300 mAh battery. This means up to 18 hours of talk time and 500 hours on standby.
Samsung Galaxy S4: The S4 has a whopping 2600 mAh battery that offers wireless charging. This is equivalent to 17 hours talk time (on average 10) and 320 hours on standby.

Winner: HTC One — The One has the best battery life, keeping you connected with friends and the latest media updates for the longest. In my opinion, battery life is the most crucial aspect of a phone because you never know when you’ll need to make an important call and there’s no charger around.

6. Special/Exclusive Features
iPhone 5s: The 5s is a great blend of performance and good looks. The 5s has a special fingerprint identity lock, so it is extremely hard for someone else to break into your phone. Compared to the Android’s OS, Apple’s IOS interface is very simple to use.
iPhone 5c: If you want a custom phone at a breakthrough price, the 5c offers multiple colors, is the only phone priced at $99 and has Apple’s easy to use IOS interface.
HTC One: The HTC is geared toward audio-heads with beats audio and front facing speakers made for better overall sound. If you’re also a klutz like me and drop your phone a lot, the HTC One is made of all aluminum, so you don’t have to worry.
Samsung Galaxy S4: This phone is for the true performance nut-heads. It has multiple unique features including an infrared sensor that can detect hand movement, allowing one to operate the device via hand gestures. It also gives the ability to scroll with your eyes or by tilting the device. Lastly, it has exclusive camera abilities such as sound and shot (picture with sound), drama (multiple pictures combined in one) and dual shot (picture using both front and rear camera).

Winner: Samsung Galaxy S4 — A bunch of cool and nifty features will impress your friends, but they aren’t used often or practically when using your phone in everyday situations.

In total the Samsung Galaxy S4 won the most categories, crowning it victorious. Overall, all four phones are a good choice and you will be satisfied with any one of them.