BDBN: College campuses face protests
BDBN: College campuses face protests
May 7, 2024

Mock Trial season gets underway

Swathi Sivsubramanian and Larry Guo rehearsing a direct examination last winter under the watchful eye of Mock Trial attorney-coach Howard Lenow. (Credit: Shensi Ding/WSPN)

Three weeks ago, twenty-two WHS students showed up at an information session to learn more about the Mock Trial program.

“We had huge interest at the club fair,” said co-captain Neeti Singhal. “It’s great that the word is getting out about Mock Trial, and people are getting interested in joining the team.”

The Mock Trial program is organized by the Mass Bar Association. Students are given a case written by the Bar in the beginning of the season, and the team is split into a defense and a prosecution.

Students write their own openings, closings, cross and direct examinations, assuming the roles of lawyers and witnesses. Teams compete with others from public and private schools all over Massachusetts.

Members of the Mass Bar Association volunteer their time to act as judges and score each student’s performance and argument.

The Wayland Mock Trial Team is traditionally made up of 18 students. Nine students perform as the defense, and the other nine perform as the prosecution. Unlike many other teams, each student receives one role so that every participant contributes as an equal part of the team.

Two weeks ago, prospective members took the mandatory exam about the case law, and several were called back to take a final oral exam after school on Wednesday, November 10th.

“The written exams are integral because they are the clearest indicator of who is willing to put in the time and effort to the team and who is ready for a commitment of this magnitude,” said co-captain Sabrina Yurkofsky. “The oral exams are especially important because they’re a peek into how capable students are of thinking on their feet and reacting under pressure, which they will face in the courtroom.”

The audition process is almost complete, and soon, six new members will be added to the team.

“We lost six people [so] it puts us back a little, but it also gives us the opportunity to bring in some new talent,” said Yurkofsky.

Although this is the second year in a row that six members have graduated, the team is still excited for the new season to get underway. Case packets have been distributed, and the first meeting of the season has been planned for Monday, November 15th.

“It’s really exciting that we finally have a case that we can relate to a little more because it takes place in a high school setting,” said Singhal. “I think our team has the potential to go really far this season.”